Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Heather Adams, Both Buyer and Seller in Austin Woods, Austin,...

Do car loads of people come through a gated subdivision at 10:30 at night to look at my home for sale?

Asked by Heather Adams, Austin Woods, Austin, TX Sun Sep 16, 2012

Answers

7
I don't know.. Do they? How would we know?

Thomas Jones
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Ask your agent to terminate the first listing and re-enter it without publish your address to the public, only to agents.
Oh, Geez Thomas Jones took my answer. I don't know. Do they?? This question is a joke right?!?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
This was a serious question, have been told realtors have seen it all, apparently not!
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012
This was a serious question
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012
Exactly what Mr. Gimenez said. I can't say that I know for sure how the MLS system works, but I have heard that your agent could have entered it in such a way that it would not have been sent to external websites. It's probably too late now, but food for thought the next time you list your home for sale.

Thomas Jones
Once your home is entered in the MLS by your agent, numerous other web sites extract the information for their web sites and this includes your address. If someone requests gate entry after 7pm, simply refuse. No agent, no access. There are increasing numbers of burglaries, robberies, thefts, and yes, even murders....just a sign of the times. No reason to take a chance.
Rephrase this question. Is it typical for folks to obtain my address from web sites, etc. and then scope out my home at 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30 p.m. and come back the following day at noon and do it again?

Realtor has a for sale sign outside the gate, but no address on it, thinks it could be from a previous showing but not sure. Stated in no way would they allow 8 people to come into my home at one showing, have refused open houses because of this very thing.

The second time it occured, I opened the front door and told them to leave and to stop taking photos. If they wanted to view the home, call my realtor.

Moved into a subdivision where a week before the neighbor across the street had been followed home from the grocery store and killed in his driveway for his Rolex. If there is a new scam going on in the Galleria area, $500k+ homes I would like to know. Cops think it odd but maybe just a cultural thing. Now have 3 inch wood screws inserted in all the doors and burglar bars underneath the door knobs, alarm company would be of no help.
Yes, but they're actually called burglars...not buyers. If someone is requesting to see your home at 10:30 at night, give them an unequivocal "NO" as your response.