Home Buying in Morrisville>Question Details

Trianglemommy, Home Buyer in Morrisville, NC

Do buyers in the Triangle NC area care about formal living rooms? Or is a good size family room considered good enough? We hardly use our formal area

Asked by Trianglemommy, Morrisville, NC Fri Sep 2, 2011

I'm planning to buy a new house ~3000 sq ft in Cary/Morrisville. The floorplan has a formal living and dining, and I want to convert the living (on the left, as you enter), into an office/bedroom. It's huge, and I think it will be wasted unless I repurpose it. New home so I can ask the builder to do this for me.

Answers

3
Lot more demand lately for offices than formal living rooms. You can always convert it back. Even dining rooms as mentioned are becoming passe with some home buyers. Personally either the formal dining room or living room can be used for your office and then converted back when you sell. Its your home, you live there, do whatever you want to do with it and when you go to sell, neutralize it and move it back to average expectations.
good luck on your purchase
As a custom home builder in the Triangle, we've seen demand for formal living rooms reach a new low every year. Many floor plans no longer include them, but use the space for an office, a library, or a first floor guest bedroom. The other room that's really decreased in demand is the formal dining room. Dining is becoming more casual, and a large portion of the homebuyers we work with would rather see that square footage used for something else, with an emphasis on a gorgeous kitchen, larger "breakfast" dining area, and big Great Room. Even for plans that contain a formal dining room, many homebuyers are adding French doors on both sides of the room so that the room can be used as an office, but also converted back to a dining room upon occasion or upon resale.
Web Reference: http://www.StantonHomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
I think you're right on top of the trends - and where they've been for 10+ years. The formal living room of our parents' generation has yielded to larger family rooms, or smaller sitting rooms converted to a home office. I wouldn't make it too bedroom-y unless there was access to a nearby full bath, but a home office? Go for it!