Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Investorm, Other/Just Looking in Illinois

Do brokers like working with investors?

Asked by Investorm, Illinois Mon Sep 24, 2012

Been having a hard time connecting with brokers who understand real estate investing. My experience is that most agents work with the "Mom and Pop Investors" who buy maybe 1-2 properties, but not the investors who are acquiring 200 properties a year. Do brokers not like working with a serious investors? The investors I know do not like agents, but I am determined to build a great relationship with a few brokers. What are your thoughts?

Answers

19
Love working with experienced and knowledgeable investor only not the ones believe that they know everything regardless of the size. Most of the investors I work with even have Real Estate broker Lic.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2012
Well put Eden!
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
I would suggest getting to know a broker with a financial background who also is an investor. Investors have recently come to me as I sometimes have access to bulk sales and REO offerings before they hit the MLS or REO properties that banks never want to hit the MLS. There are brokers out there that can help you with your needs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Very few real estate agents have a financial background and are not very analytical. If an investor is sophisticated they won't relate well to agents that don't understand ROA and ROE and the impact of growth rate and inflation on those metrics. I have an MBA from Kellogg with a concentration in finance and actually worked in corporate finance for 3 years. If you check out my blog you will see that I am highly analytical: http://www.chicagonow.com/getting-real/2012/09/chicago-home-…

I also share my commission with my buyers on a sliding scale. You can call me at 312-738-0232 to discuss my unique approach to working with serious investors.
Web Reference: http://LucidRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
You might be correct. Trying to find 200 properties in a year is a full time job for any agent and few agents can afford to drop everything that they are doing just to focus on one client because there is no guarrantee that that one client will remain with them. it's like don't put all your eggs in one basket sort of thing.
Let me know what you are looking for and the area(s) you want them to be and perhaps I can help to some extent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Matt wins the Diplomacy Award of the day:

The question was whether AGENTS like work working with INVESTORS; not the other way around.

The answer is you're face-to-face with a BUYER, is, YES, of course!
The answer is NO; Agents do not like spending time and gas, looking at 50 houses and presenting 50 Low-Ball offers that do not even garder a return call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
I am available @ $95 hour flat fee paid up front
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Check out the web site http://www.wefixbadcredit.org
Investorm,

Good question. I would say that most investors average 2-3 properties a year. You are the exception on the high end. Even with what you call 'mom and pop investors' is can take a lot of time and energy and often there is no buyer agency agreement and no loyalty from the investors. As you said, many investors don't like or respect agents, and it shows. They consider agents a necessary evil in the process of them making money for themselves. It often is not a win-win situation where everyone makes money. I have seen some investors who run agents around writing dozens of offers and then go to another agent or the homeowner and shut that original agent out. For these and other reasons, agents can be hesitant and apprehensive when working with investors.

Also, in the investor courses and seminars (some I have been to), the instructors often speak of agents and Realtors as village idiots, cab drivers, etc. Many Realtors are experts and specialists at working with residential buyers. That does not make them qualified to help investors acquire a 100 or more investment properties a year. This could mean 1000's of reports, and 100's of low-ball offers written and often culminating in sales prices well under $100k. What you need is a broker who specializes in working with high volume investors and has an active and professional team of agents and assistants to work with you and other higher volume investors. If you were in Colorado I would have some good referrals for you. Good success with your business.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
We love working with investors. Our team of 5 buyers agents are searching the market everyone morning for new homes coming on the market and price reductions. We also are connected with several "bird dogs" finding homes before they come on the market.
Do you have an Attorney and a contractor that you trust already? Buying investment properties is a challenge that can be acquire with the help of a group of people. The last piece is working with an experienced real estate agent that can give you the right advice and assist you in finding the best investments for you. Remember you are looking for an agent that is going to be working full time. So, you need to start asking the agents if they are willing to do so for the right compensation.

Best of Luck,

Maria E. Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
I love working with my clients. They are very active investors and we get along great! They are not buying 200 properties per year, but more like 10 to 25. I love working with them because I know exactly what they want and what they are willing to pay for certain properties. I wonder why the investor you know do not like agents?
Let me ask you a question, what kind of properties are you buying and where?

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Broker Associate | Visionary

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
I am certainly interested, I love to work with buyers, first time home buyers, relocating clients and yes
investors, those who either invest in rental properties for the rental income, and also those who are
looking for well priced properties to upgrade and then flip.....

My expertise lies in several areas limited areas in the city, other areas in the city I service with
partner agents who are more familiar with those areas within the city and then I cover most if not
all N and NW suburbs and the entire North Shore. So depending on what kind of properties and
for what purpose you are acquiring them I would work directly with you or together with a partner
agent of mine...

And of course there has to be an understanding that I will be paid at the end...... Why may be many
REaltors are not interested or are not showing interest is probably because of bad experiences.
Many builders, flippers and investors have within their organization already someone with a realtors license, although not really practicing except for acquiring properties they are interested in,
and may Realtors are being used for information for showings, but when it comes to making an
offer the investors do it in house, and even when they put a property back on the market they do it
in house. So that's a bad experience for a Realtor, working without pay is no fun.

If I were to work with you, it would be based on a buyer representation agreement, that if I will not
be paid by the sellers side, that you will pay me a percentage of the sale price.....

Feel free to contact me anytime...

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
I am certainly open to the opportunity to getting on that short list. I think it is hard for residential brokers to grasp the scope of the investment and to understand the decision making by the client. At the same time, I think commercial brokers often don't grasp some of the intangible of residential properties and how they can affect value.
But, I think the main reason behind the reluctance you refer to is the perception that in most cases the investor is just using the broker to gather information and will shy away from a relationship that involves compensating a broker for their time and effort. To some investors we are just a few points of profit out the window on a deal.

Feel free to email me back or text or call 773-732-9123. You can look up my bio for more about my background and experience.

Dave
Heck, I would say yes, we love working with investors. If you are buying 200 properties a year then that means you have a target area and pretty much know how much you want to spend. Get with a good agent, let them know what your budgets are and what condition you are willing to work with. Good luck!
Great relationships are built on trust. Often investors don't seem to trust agents enough to actually build a solid relationship, and once that trust is broken, it isn't easily mended. It goes both ways. I have had mixed experiences with investors, some of whom want to use agents to get what they want but don't want to commit to building a solid, trusting working relationship. I agree with the others...find one or a couple of agents who you want to commit to working with, and build a great relationship that is mutually beneficial.
Why don't your investors like agents?

If they are serious investors then they know that partnering up with an adept agent will in the long term help their (Investor's ) bottom line.
I like working with investors. It is a perfect way to build a relationship and get on the same page with your model. Once I know my client's model, I can just send over properties that is a good fit. If you would like to discuss or have any questions, feel free to email me at josh@weinbergchoirealty.com. There are some great properties on the market right now, best of luck!

Josh
I dont know why investors wouldnt like to work with an agent. Its a great benefit. We help you find the good deals, you get them. Typically, an investor who is buying 200 properties doesnt have time to find all the good priced ones. Which is why they hire a good agent. Just get one that knows your area well.