Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

younessi, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Do brokers have exclusive listings? Or is it all pretty much listed on MLS? Thanks

Asked by younessi, New York, NY Tue Jan 22, 2013

Answers

7
Good afternoon. Younessi:
Most sellers who list homes with a broker want their property listed in the MLS. There are occasionally homes that a Seller wants a broker to sell through channels other than the MLS, but in my experience, that is very rare. An example would be where a buyer's agent approached a seller about a home not on the market and they agreed to buy and sell that home, but the seller did not want it in the MLS. If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
It is not a common practice for Resltors to hold exclusive listings. As some of the other answers have indicated, we all have what we call "back pocket" listings. These are homes that are not presently on the market but we know that a seller will entertain an offer. They may be waiting until spring to list or they may have withdrawn their listing after its expiration. If they let their Realtor know that they would still entertain an offer but they don't want to have it on the market as an active listing, that would also be a "back pocket" listing.

If you don't presently have a buyer's agent digging deep in search of those hidden gems for you, please feel free to give me a call. I love the treasure hunting adventure.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267
Web Reference: http://Www.teel-realty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
No almost every house is on the mls. In this day and age of technology I think only new york city doesn't have a mls that shares
Most brokers use "Exclusive Right to Sell" listing agreements, which means that all transactions must come through the listing broker. I think your question might be if brokers have listings that are not included in the MLS. Yes, they might. Most are included, but with the seller's permission a broker can withhold it from the MLS. There are usually specific reasons why this is done. That being said, the only way that you, as a buyer, would know about the listing would be if it is advertised or if signage is installed. Hope this helps.
Your terminology is improper. Exclusive listings mean that the seller is listed exclusively with a company/agent and 99.9% of these are on the MLS so that the property gets the widest possible exposure. What your really asking about is often referred to as a "pocket listing" when a Broker knows of a house (and may possibly have a signed listing agreement) that can be sold but for any number of reasons is not actively on the market. These comprise an infinitesimally small section of the market. A good buyer Broker who is experienced knows to reach out through their own network of agents to find out about these properties if their unable to find their buyer the right house out of existing inventory. They also know how to specifically solicit properties for their buyers when necessary.

My advice is to find a highly experienced buyer broker and have confidence that they can find you whatever it is you're looking for. I've attached a link below to one of the most popular Blogs I've posted on how to find a great buyer broker regardless of where you live. I wish you the best of luck and happy house hunting.

There are many realtors that know someone that wants to sell their home but does not want to officially list it yet. However most serious sellers want their home in the mls.
Web Reference: http://Www.jonnyagent.com
Yes Brokers do have exclusive listings. A Broker has to be a Realtor and join the Multiple Listing Service in order for their listings to be entered into the MLS. Not all Brokers are Realtors and if they are not, they can not provide this very valuable service to their clients.