JP.R, Home Buyer in 90024

Do any condo/townhouse HOAs allow remodeling of units to create "interior laundry" facilities?

Asked by JP.R, 90024 Sun May 17, 2009

We are interested in whether condo/townhouse HOAs allow remodeling of units to create "interior laundry" (washer/dryer within the unit) if the property has community laundry facilities? My husband and I are looking to buy a 3br/2bth condo on the westside/Culver City area, and most of the units in our price range only have community laundry facilities. Having a washer/dryer in our own unit is an important factor for us, and we are trying to figure out whether it will be possible to remodel a condo to fit our laundry needs. Thanks!

Answers

6
It depends upon the development itself and the CC&R's. Each developement is different, however, I have found that they will allow renovations that do not interfere with the structural integrity of the property, or interfere with other property owners. To be sure, you would have to read the CC&R's or speak to the HOA board.
Why not let your buyer agent know that inside launry facilities are a criteria when he/she begins searching for a condo for you? I know this is important to buyers as both of my last clients had this as a criteria for their condo's too.
Best of Luck to you
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 15, 2009
Hi JP.R,

I have a client who was going to add a second bathroom to a condo. Because the drainage(for laundry) and plumbing may have to go through the common space or your neighbor ownership space the HOA usually does not allow it. If you can prove that the improvement is going to not interfering into the ownship space of someone else than you may be able to. But that is very difficult. You should contact the HOA and ask them if they ever had a owner who has done this work with permit and if so what is the procedure. Or ask the present owners to see if they know someone who added a interior laundry. Do not assume anything.

Good Luck,

Homa
Associate Broker
Prudential California Realty
Mission Viejo
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 17, 2009
JP.R- Usually what you do within the walls of your condo is your business. There may be requirements or restricitons as far as things needing to be permitted, but other than that I can't see any reason why, if it is able to be done- that you can't do it.

In all purchases in California you have 17 days to look at all disclosures, including HOA docs, which would allow you to know if you could do what you are looking to do.

Patti Phillips
"Advice You Need, Attention You Deserve"
800-680-9133 or 619=507-2100
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 17, 2009
You'll need to check the CC&R ( covenants, conditions and restrictions) of each HOA (home owners association) to see if they allow for an inside laundry unit. If the HOA doesn't allow, you may still be able to install an inside laundry unit by getting an approval by the HOA board. I'd have your agent look into which condos would possibly allow, and maybe go from there.
It really depends on the plumbing in the building and whether or not such an addition is even possible. Make sure you ask first and don't assume anything
Hi!

Like many of my Buyers, you, too want the convenience of inside laundry!

I suggest working with a Realtor familiar with your target areas as many Westside complexes do not allow the installation of inside laundry appliances. The most common reason for this is the plumbing system. Usually older buildings where the plumbing systems are stacked are not equipped with the plumbing to sustain inside laundry appliances. In some buildings, however, you may find some units in which the installed appliances are "grandfathered" or installed without the approval of the Homeowner's Association.

Prior to purchasing a unit with inside laundry appliances, make sure you find out if it is approved by the Homeowner's Association.

Please contact me for additional information.

Lezlie Brazil
T 310-991-4263
F 310-861-0207
E lezliebrazil@kw/.com
Web Reference: http://www.lezliebrazil.com