Home Buying in River Falls>Question Details

April Schmitz,  in River Falls, WI

Do agents charge any fees for assisting in home buying?

Asked by April Schmitz, River Falls, WI Wed Sep 16, 2009

I am interested in buying a home. I went to a few open houses and the realters have approached me offering their services in finding a home. I think it would be easier to buy a home but want to be sure it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Answers

57
No. Commission is paid by the seller. You will want to have a "Buyers Agent' represent You, The sellers agent represents the "sellers' best interests and you will want an agent representing you. The commission is paid by the seller and included in the asking price.
I don't mind at all saying...Boy was I wrong, April's not an Agent she's an FSBO who listed her FSBO on Trulia....

April I apologize...I was not aware and did not notice you were a person who had listed their FSBO on Trulia..

Postlets, so you do not need an Agent to list on Trulia just Postlets and the Contact an Agent button leads to the FSBO owner..Cool. Gotta bookmark this to help answer those FSBO listing questions..

What I said Alan was..
"You better hope a Mayor doesn't see this" not "Wait 'till your Mayor get's home"?

And I think they have 5 Mayors at the moment and more to come so Mayor does not = Alan
Hopefully you understand I'm mocking the system/program not you personally, I did make my opinion of it pretty clear........good to see your already on the job though ; )

I will delete my comment and retract my accusation of April being an Agent since she is just a person who listed her FSBO on Trulia..Sorry April

I kinda like being wrong and so easy for me
I do currently own a townhome. My husband and I bought it 4 yrs ago from the builders. We didn't have any agents involved. We have 2 children and want more space. I just recently graduated and started my career. Now with a double income and being a great time to buy, we are trying to get as well informed about the process as possible. I have always found it easier to find more information with online questions to the point where I am much more informed than talking with 1 or 2 realtors. I can't understand your suspicion? Angela has already googled me and knows a bit about who I am.

I simply want to sell my home and buy a larger home. and regardless of how much a buyer may know, they most often need you to help us. Why would you be concerned that I am not a first time home buyer? If we knew all after the first time, we would never need you again. I understand your concern that I am treading on your selling turf through Trulia, I didn't mean to do anything 'illegal', and I don't need to be attacked for hours for it. I will simply take my questions and comments to a site and fewer realtors who will persecute me. Thank you to those who see my side or at least have given me some great advice.
April..hello again

I have been sitting back watching this thread develop, and I must admit, I am a bit perplexed.

Trulia issues aside, you started with a question that states you are interested in buying a home.....and asking if there are any fees for using an agent to buy that home. You say you went to open houses, and agents offered their services. Surely, you could have asked them if there was any fee involved. Why ask here when you had real live agents in front of you at open houses?
Your question implies you're new at home buying.

That being said, I, along with others, tried to help you, and offered honest and helpful responses. You even gave someone a best answer tag.

I didn't notice at that time that it said "Real Estate Pro" under your name. You say you didn't know how to characterize yourself., so you picked "Pro"........seems easy to say you're a Buyer when you're a buyer, but ok......let's let that part go.

Then it turns out you're here on trulia as a FSBO....somehow you worked the system and , voila , your listing and you are here, now as ....a seller.............Ok....let's let that part go.

Then, it turns out you say you're under water on your mortgage by $20,000, which, if tue, is certainly a difficult position to be in. I am sorry to hear that.

But here is where I am confused............you're looking at open houses? You're looking to find an agent to help you buy a home....again?......another home???

You are upside down on your current mortgage, yet you want to buy another home? You're miffed at the agents here who were just trying to figure out what exactly was going on with you..and why you were here since you're title was, at best, misleading.

I am usually pretty trusting, and I don't want to sound rude .....but , to me, something just doesn't seem right here. You already bought a home once.....you're not a first time buyer...........what you're really looking for here I am not sure, but I dont think the question posed is the real reason. It just doesn't make sense.

In any event.....your question has been answered ....several times - for free.......as agents we tend to give out lots of free advice............
p.s. why are you advertising an agent finder site? Are you on a recruiting thing? Are you working for someone who kooked you into coming on here?

"I had all kinds of trouble then I find this incredible website that helped me out and saved me MILLIONS of dollars! Agents, you should make sure..." blah...pathetic.
Agreed Alan. I think Dunes poses a valid question.

But you are right in what you are saying. It is against Trulias guidelines and terms of use.

It is down right deliberately fraudulant in my opinion. You have to work at it to get around the rules. There are so many free avenues. I don't understand what people are thinking sometimes.

The sad truth is April really DOES need an agent. It would be worth her time and money to seek one out. I could find every detail about her personal life. But anything on her home for sale? NADA except for the falsified Trulia entry.
So she listed her FSBO on Trulia without an Agent?

It remains until attention is drawn to it and I'd still like to know if there are possibly others (FSBOs) that haven't had attention drawn to them that are listed in the same way?

How did this one slip through the WE do not.......? Why not others later today or last week being listed the same way without using an Agent?

Seems like a Fair question since Agents ALWAYS respond to FSBO questions about listing on Trulia with
You can't do it without an Agent, but it seems you can as long as no one catches it and brings it to Trulias attention...What would stop April from going to another Computer, making a new Profile and listing it again?

Am I wrong, is this question out of line?
Hi Everyone,

I'm afraid that our policies regarding FSBO listings have not changed and, as a result, April's listing has been removed from our site.

April, I will follow up via email with you about this shortly.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Dunes, if you follow April's listing, you'll find at the bottom left of the flyer it says:

April Schmitz
xxx-xxx-xxxx
For sale by individual owner
created by postlets.

... and did you just say "Wait 'till your Mayor get's home"? why I always gotta be the bad guy.... why?
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
I had to be sure to answer this question as I see you haven’t yet received an Wisconsin based answer & it clearly varies. Although I highly agree with Debbie who suggests meeting with an agent! I do this with all of my new clients and they not only appreciate it but do have a lot more questions than they thought once we get rolling.
The answer to your question is that varies from agent to agent and how your Buyer’s Agency contract is drafted. If your contract states a specific percentage of the purchase price and that percentage is more than what the seller is offering than yes, you could be responsible for the difference. There is not a standard offering of compensation and I do see it vary quiet a bit here in Wisconsin. This again is certainly something that can be discussed while you are interviewing agents. Any qualified Realtor will bring this up while going through the contract with you. I suspect one sit down with an agent will answer a lot of your pending questions as well as make you much more comfortable with the process. Because YES, home buying is much more pleasant when you have someone working for you!
Best of luck to you, it is a GREAT time to buy!
Heather Jarden
Prudential Community Realty
HI April
Buying a home can be an overwhelmingly exciting and stressful experience. What I suggest is.....select one of the agents you met... make an appointment to sit down and have a nice conversation about the home buying process. There is a lot to learn. You will discuss financing and any other aspects and expenses associated with buying a home. This "chat" will be a great place for you to start!
All of your concerns and quesrtions will be answred........and it won;t cost you a penny!!

Best wishes
Debbie Rose
Pridential NJ Properties
Here in Connecticut we do not charge for assisting Buyers. We only get paid if any offer we write is accepted by the Seller. They pay our commission
yeah, but I agreed, that you agreed, when you agreed that I agreed that you agreed first.

don't bother with glasses, we'll take turns sipping directly from the still.... but let's keep those cigars far away from the stuff.. it's highly flammable (or inflammable, depending on your mood).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 18, 2009
April - I wish you all the best, and truthfully, I really could care less if trulia allows fsbos or not.....it doesn't bother me...that's the truth.............as they are already on Realtor.com...................everything just got very confusing earlier, here, on this thread!

Good luck ...........hope things work out for you
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
Hello April, and I apologize for coming late to the party.

To answer your questions, first you can list your home easily by using a flat fee listing services such as FSBO.com. For about $299 or the price in your area (which seems to range fro m $99-400), you can have a local real estate agent place your home for sale on the local MLS, but you, not the agent, would sell the home. Placing your home for sale on the local MLS will provide you with the greatest local exposure to sell your property. For a small extra fee, you can even use the listing agent to help you review and understand offers your receive, so that this way, you are not "flying solo" without assistance from a professional.

Second, I can sympathize greatly with your situation. Being upside-down in your mortgage is both disheartening and financially challenging. If you find that you cannot sell your home, please talk with a qualified agent about selling your home "short". While there is a small "hit" to your credit in selling short, it is certainly far less damaging than in having the home foreclosed. Attorneys can also help you short sell your home, so check with your local Bar Association to find a qualified real estate attorney to assist you.

Finally, as the others have already mentioned, buyers typically do not pay any commissions to their agents for helping them buy a home. Several of us, however, are modifying our real estate practices to accommodate the market and internet savvy buyer (like you) by offering, what I am calling "Facilitator Services." A Realtor who serves as a facilitator will charge less money for assisting the buyer and, in states where this practice is legal, using a facilitator can result in a rebate to the buyer of between 1.5 to 2 percent of the purchase price. Check with your state to find a local discount Realtor who might assist you.

I certainly understand your situation and the problems associated with housing costs and selling, so I wish you very good luck in selling your home. There are sources out there to assist you that will not cost much and should provide you with better coverage than you may currently be getting through other sources.

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Co-Host "Naked Real Estate" on http://www.blogtalkradio.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
April

Let's forget everything else and deal with your question which basically is if you get an Agent to assist you in buying a home do they charge Fees..

The simple answer is this...
1. You can sit down with a Local Agent and explain your situation and goals

2. That will cost you nothing

3. The Agent can give you their Opinion of your options or if what you wish to do is possible.

4. That cost nothing

5. You can do that with several Agents and decide who you would like to work with or determine if what you wish to do is possible..

6. That cost nothing

7. At this point you will know what's going on and your Agent will have informed you of the rest of the process..You will have their assistance and it will have cost you nothing but time and a little honest conversation....

In my opinion....Find some local agents and talk to them..it's free....period!

As far as this Forum I will only say there are good and bad, you are the only person who can decide for you who falls into what category..The information though is just information and some of it will help you better understand the process...You don't have to talk to it, just read when you wish, and I am suggesting you can find some helpful information here if you do that..

Just reading my comments have made me smarter, That's a joke that's a joke....

There are some awfully good Agents here at Trulia (I'm not an Agent or RE Pro) and there are some awfully bad Agents here at Trulia..You get to decide who's who and deal or not deal with whoever you want, but read and learn from some of the information available..It will help

Just my opinion, Dunes

and Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
no, I was just linking a site where i can reveiw agents. No scam. I am sorry you have such a mistrust for people. I looked for all of you who have posted responses but unfortunately couldn't find you.

I am willing to work hard to save 6%. I have no choice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
I didn't see anywhere that said I wasn't allowed to list here. I am sorry as I can see I have upset many individuals. My house is worth $20,000 less than my mortgage so I cannot afford a realter. I was so excited to see a site where I could list for free I must have overlooked the fine print. I appreciate those who didn't speak harshly of me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
Incorrect and untrue... and I'm not playing semantics.

The fact that someone managed to work around the rules, doesn't mean the rules are untrue, incorrect, lies, invalid or any other semantic-ese.

I really don't find your question to be argumentative, unfair, stupid, valueless or pointless, obscure or any other adjective that makes it seem not worth asking.

Someone cheated the system. They got caught. They got shut down. It appears that Trulia needs to put some better safeguards in place. We're in agreement (I think).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
the fact that someone has figured out an illegal workaround, is neither surprising, nor does it make the statement "Trulia only allows the display of property that is listed with an agent/agency" incorrect.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
In Texas, a private individual representing himself as licensed to sell Real Estate when they are not carries steep penalties including hefty fines, etc.

I went into my postlets account to see if that were a real liklihood. It is. However, I did not find a Craigslist posting for her property which also would have been the next likely entry after creating a postlets.

I don't believe this is from whence it came. It doesn't show up on any of the other syndicated websites. I do believe there is another entry point.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
OK........ I am following this....thanks for the response Emily........ but, my question still is...why is April listed above as a Real Estate Pro when clearly she is not? That's very misleading, not to mention confusing.

I answered her question in good faith without noticing it, but now that I have.....why does it read that way?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
So that is your "guess" ?

I "guess even if that's true she still posted her FSBO without an Agent until it was "accidentally discovered" and then it was brought to the " attention of the Trulia staff, who then quickly enforced their policy. "

But it just a "guess"

...Nothing personal but we could make all kinds of "guesses" ...I could "guess" she did not click on Agent, that she just used postlets and listed it on Trulia...I could "guess" many FSBOs do it either way without an Agent since Trulia seems to have no verification system in place and only catches them when they are "accidentally" discovered and then quickly enforce there policy

Seems like something to dicuss at the next meeting ; )

"it wobbled downward until the mouse was trapped!! " The only mouse I see here is Trulia...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
My guess... dunes... (and it's only a guess)..

is that Postlets feeds to Trulia. But it asks you "are you a seller or an agent".

April clicked on seller, and postlets said "sorry, only agents can post to Trulia".
so April redid her input and changed it to "Agent" (Postlets doesn't require any "proof" that you're an agent).

We accidentally discovered that April's page was a FSBO... and by "conversing" about it... accidentally brought it to the attention of the Trulia staff, who then quickly enforced their policy.

and then the boot, kicked over the little red plastic cage and it wobbled downward until the mouse was trapped!!
MOUSETRAP!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
Then how did it get on the site in the first place? Is this the only one or can others be found? Do you have something in place that will prevent this if someone is doing the same thing right now?

Seems odd that the policy is stated as one thing, by accident a FSBO is found contrary to that policy, then it is removed because of the policy that states it could not be there in the first place....

How did it get listed in the First place?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
Dunes - as long as you know the difference, you may type it any way you like! I just typed to someone I'd get back to them "fats".....of course, I meant "fast"...my typing leaves a whole lot to be desired.

So, if I understand this...a person looking to buy a home , as per the question above, but is a fsbo.......comes up listed as a "Real Estate Pro" here? How does that happen? If that's not confusing, I don't know what is. (April, this is nothing against you..I am just confused by the system, as you can plainly see!)

Second point I need clarified (where is a mayor when you need one)...does trulia now allow fsbos listings that aren't on an MLS?
So when someone asks a question about how to get their home listed on trulia...they should no longer be told they have to write a blog about it, and having an agent isn't necessary anymore, even if it was a flat fee agent?

So many changes..hard to keep up...still scratching my head..and still no itch!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
Wait a second..I thought FSBO'S couldn't list on Trulia - that they only fed here through an MLS?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, totally understood... don't worry. And yes, yes you did make your opinion clear as a crystal. (LOL!) nothing vague about it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
I'm confused......................above, it says April is a Real estate Pro.......but yet, I just read below that she is a fsbo......and the question says she is looking to buy a home?? Now I am really confused.........FSBO's on trulia are listed as Pros??........maybe trulia needs a "fsbo" title so it's clear for all to see ....and understand, because right now I am scratching my head, and I don't have an itch!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
It even shows up when I do a search for it...Cool!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 17, 2009
Look for FOR SALE BY OWNER to avoid costly 3-6% fees! Look at 4208 Rotunda Road Charlotte, NC 28226
EGGGSELLENT! We have agreement AND glasses! What a great combination! Good job on coming to middle ground once again.

The funny thing is, everyone is SO passionate about making sure everything is JUST right! We want perfection always and have come to expect it.

Who is that perfection for? Is it for ourselves? Sometimes. But most often, it is for folks like you April. It matters to all of us.
Will I need to bring the boxing gloves or a glass?

April--"It was easy to get listed. I did it in about 10 minutes. I had to wait to get approved (that took 24 hrs). You would think it would have been noticed then."

It appears Trulia has no verification system for listing either...Safeguards indeed....It's hard always being right.lol

Did you say I'll kick your a## or Bring a glass?lolol I do think we agree but I agreed first ; )
I stated:
It appears that Trulia needs to put some better safeguards in place.

I believe you agree with that statement.

I also stated:
You would think that they would require some verification system... an MLS number... a NRDS number... a NAR number... something that confirms that you're a realtor (or lender, or appraiser, etc...)...

I believe that you agree with that statement. We are in agreement. Perhaps the LEVEL of concern is different, but we're both in agreement that Trulia is not doing a good job of policing "who is who" on Trulia (are you an agent, an appraiser, a lender, whatever)... and they need to do a better job. We need to be able to be confident that if someone' badge says "Realtor" that they are indeed a Realtor. Yes?

Good, then we're once again in agreement.

Meet me out back at the still.
Dunes isn't a Realtor. He's just a grumpy guy that wants things to be better.

Me on the other hand...guilty. :)

April, if you want some ideas for marketing your property, along with some safety pointers, please email me. I really am harmless and love to help.

NO CHARGE! I'm not even licensed in WI. So no risk! Just friendly pointers.

Sorry your first trip to Trulia was a trip. But better days ahead!

-Angela
I don't think I will use Trulia again - to sell or to buy. My experience has been tainted. At first my main reason for not hiring an agent was fiinance, now I found myself questioning the integrity of realtors.
Thank you very much April and I do wish you the best...The Forum is still a Great place to find information, I hope you take a look around you may just find some info that will help you..

Best to you, Dunes
Don't feel bad April. Life is good, and way to short. :)

Thanks for sticking it out to give a few responses. I think that says a lot about you and your character. :)

-Angela
I never thought you weren't real. I wanted to leave positive feedback but I couldn't find the name of the realters responses I liked.

It was easy to get listed. I did it in about 10 minutes. I had to wait to get approved (that took 24 hrs). You would think it would have been noticed then. The reason I put pro was because I didn't know where else I would fit.
April

The fact as we discussed earlier that you were a FSBO (we don't know how many others there are) that listed yourself on Trulia is very interesting to me, you were even included in the search results..

Was it easy for you to list your FSBO on Trulia ?

Was there anywhere you remember seeing something suggesting you needed to use an Agent?

I'm thinking this is not about YOU did something wrong but that the method for listing Homes on Trulia is flawed...

I would really appreciate a response

Thanks, Dunes
For your information, I do not buy leads. I've never heard of that site until you posted here. I did recognize some of the names on there as being Trulia contributors.

If you want to make sure I'm a Realtor, Here is the state website. It is public information if it matters.

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/newsandpublic/licenseeLookup/Lic…

I'm genuine. I've never heard of you either. It doesn't make you any less important if there is something we can actually help you with.
I don't charge for assisting buyers with the purchase of a property, but I do know some agents that do. When an offer I write is accepted by the seller(s) and closes escrow is when I get paid. My commission comes from the Seller.
April-Craigslist. Delete and repost once a week so it brings up to the top again. Use a different Title each time so it will allow you to repost it.

I hope you are able to sell succesfully.

Your home isn't showing up anywhere just so you know. I googled and oodled and zillowed. If you are doing it yourself, you are going to have to do twice the work to get it seen on the internet. Not an insult, just thought you need to know.

All the best-
Angela - I will be happy to annoint you Sheriff in my capcaity as General Roving Agent (I made that designation up). GRA..has a nice ring to it........Debbie Rose, GRA on Trulia!!!

It's nice you are giving April the benefit of the doubt, but how anyone could mistakenly think they are a Real Estate Pro, when they are really a buyer/seller, I don't quite get.

The issue isn't really April...it's the system that allows it. Perhaps as a result of this "discovery", some safeguards, or stricter sign-up policies will be put in place. April isn't the first person to have a false title under her name, nor the last., unless something changes.
"We're in agreement (I think)."

No....I think it's a big deal, you don't....You think Trulias doing a good job..I don't...

This stuff affects me in no way, it only affects Agents..you think Trulias doing a good job verifying and enforcing the FSBO policy..fine, it doesn't bother you that anyone posting at Trulia can be an Agent..fine

Asking questions is fine but it's funner if you get an answer...It's no fun to ask questions about these things at Trulia and pretty pointless...Maybe they'll discuss it at the next staff meeting..lol

IAngela..I don't believe it was dumb luck as others have posted here at Trulia over the months that they have done the same...Would bet there are a bunch of FSBO's listed on Trulia without having used an Agent (How would anyone know for sure?), don't think anyone was sneaking they just did it....Just a "guess"

Alan you are famous..http://rismedia.com/2009-09-16/trulia-launches-trulia-mayor-…

Awaiting the Spread of Knowledge, Dunes
HOWEVER, it WAS sneaky to try and find out about Buyer Agent fees. It's not all a freebie out for April.
Agreed. Without validation an agent is an agent, it is open game. To be fair to April, she may not have been being "SNEAKY" at all. Trulia doesn't make it clear what a "Real Estate Pro" is when you sign up. It doesn't even say "PLEASE, Only if you are a Licensed Professional" or "Click here for info for FSBO" to let them know there is no current acceptance of FSBO's.

I even read the Terms of Agreement. It doesn't state "If you sign up as a "Pro" you agree that you are a ........"

So in fairness, it could have been dumb luck stumble into a place to put her FSBO.
You would think that they would require some verification system...

an MLS number... a NRDS number... a NAR number... something that confirms that you're a realtor (or lender, or appraiser, etc...)...
I already found the how. When you sign up as a "REAL ESTATE PRO" you go to your account and find your listings. There is a tab for can't find your listing? Enter it now! It will show up on Trulia within 24hrs.

Bam.

Do I get to be Sheriff or what?
Angela the point is it is not hard, there is no work to get around it....I go to my profile hit Edit and choose who I wish to be...now I'm an Agent...April became a Pro and had a Listing on her profile (her FSBO) I did a Trulia search and there her FSBO was with all the other listings.

I could have listings(without using a Agent), would anyone like to bet me.......

In 30 seconds I could be an appraiser or a lender ect.....

Tell me that's all OK it does not matter and I'll stop....
1 2