Home Buying in Chatham>Question Details

Wprycelewis, Home Buyer in

Do a lot of homes come on the market in the spring in Chatham MA?

Asked by Wprycelewis, Wed Jan 25, 2012

There seem to be few new listings these days, and I want to know when to start to expect to see new entrants and the market picking back up again - Feb? March? April?

Answers

8
You're right, many listings are withdrawn from the market over the holidays. The spring market is the busiest time of year on the Cape for real estate. Most Sellers know this and list in the spring. However what most people don't realize is that the spring market starts in the late winter, long before March 21 or Memorial Day! I advise my clients who are thinking of selling that they should be listed and on the market by President's Day weekend, end of February at latest. If there is a mild winter it can start earlier. Sales have picked up dramatically in Chatham and the Lower Cape; homes that are priced correctly are selling quickly - we are even seeing bidding wars again! There is definately pent-up demand out there. My advice: if you are a Buyer, register online at your favorite real estate site to receive new listings daily, and if you are a Seller, think about listing sooner rather than later so you don't miss the spring Buyer pool. I'm sure there are many Chatham Realtors who would love to help if you need it; I'm one!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the question. To answer your question, Yes. Seller's think that spring is the best time to put a house on the market, and that's when you'll see an influx of homes to the market place, but homes come on the market everyday. So, it's important to check for new listings everyday. You never know when what you are looking for will pop up.

The best thing to do is get a local realtor in Chatham, and have them look for you. He or she will probably know of properties that are coming up...

Best of luck

Eric
Suzie works in my company and she knows the Chatham area well. I'd choose a local professional like her and set up a personal consultation.

(Please choose a Best Answer or at least choose a Thnums Up, so those who answer questions here are rewarded.)
In most markets spring is the time when more homes become available for lots of reason So I would think Chatham would be no different
People with a pool wait until the late spring to come onto the market. The weather gets warmer and more people start to come out. If you are looking for a specific home have your buyer agent check the expired or cancelled listings to see if a home that you may be interested is going to be listed again.
Wprycelewis,

To follow up with my previous answer, there are currently 185 properties on the market in Chatham at the moment. The prices for these properties range from $164,000-$9,900,000. In the last six months approximately 87 homes have sold in the ranges of, $225,000-$6,500,000. Spring and summer is the busy time here on the Cape. I can answer your question in more depth and keep you abreast of oncoming homes, if I have a small amount of information from you. Please feel free to contact me via phone or e-mail to discuss further. Chatham is a magical place to own a home no matter what price range you are looking for. I would love to be able to assist you whether you are looking to buy in the near or distant future.

Susie

Susie Furman
Robert Paul Properties
sfurman@robertpaul.com
(413)-237-9639
Hi there,

While we traditionally see more listings come on in the spring, this year for the first time since the market declined we are seeing activity in what is usually a quiet time of year. In the last 4 weeks, there were 16 listings added to the inventory bringing the number of homes in Chatham for sale to 99 from $0- $1M. If the weather stays mild, the spring market may come earlier to Cape Cod. Chatham as a rule always has a smaller inventory than some of the larger towns particulary below $500K. It still is a great Buyers market though and a smart time to invest. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you in your search.

Ella
Spring is usually when things start to pick back up. Buyers look for properties to get into for the summer starting in February/March. Sellers then in return start to put their homes on the market. Is there a particular price range you're looking in?