Home Buying in Leesburg>Question Details

Taylorlr, Home Buyer in Leesburg, VA

Do Leesburg, Purcellville & Middleburg have a small town atmosphere with safety to raise a child?

Asked by Taylorlr, Leesburg, VA Wed Mar 2, 2011

We're relocating in July. We have a child in middle school, and husband will be commuting to Pentagon. Prefer to keep commute to an hour or just over, but want to be in a safe family-oriented area. We are coming from Europe, and really want that quaint-small town. It seems like Leesburg (old town) has this. Do all the strip malls take away from this feel? Someone also recommended Clifton, but there doesn't seem to be a lot for sale out that way. Prefer a somewhat older home with character (i.e. wood beamed ceilings, vaulted ceilings, stone fireplace, etc.), or even a newer home or new build with character. I appreciate any advice. This will be our permanent home, so we really want to find that special place to call home! Thanks so much.

Answers

13
I wanted to get in on this question. Leesburg is a wonderful community. It gives a small town feel with lots of history and yet every modern convenience nearby. There are many neighborhood in the Leesburg area and this just adds to the location. Some of the communities are River Creek, Lansdowne, Belmont, Potomac Station and Potomac Crossing and Exeter. The other nice thing about many of these neighborhoods is there are lots trees and it is beautiful this time of the year and in the fall.

As for the commute to the Pentagon under most circumstances the commute will be 1 hour or so. Of course there are days that will change but normal travel is around 1 hour.

I can say I give the Leesburg area 4 thumbs up!!!!

Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, VA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 18, 2013
Each communities mentioned have their own "feel". Middleburg is "Hunt Country". You will find art, wines and more established homes many with acreage. Leesburg is "History". You walk through the Historic District and feel like you are back in time. Purcellville is a small town where "Everyone Knows Your Name"(not really but it is a quiet town). All three communities have their vineyards, homes with mountain views. You want a home with character any one of these communities have that. I live in the area and love it because we are only 1 hour or so from DC but it feels like we are so much further. For the most part the pace is slower but you still have all the conveniences you could want. Let me know if you need anything I would love to help you!

I hope this helps!
Beth Seifart
Keller Williams Realty - Leesburg, VA
Leesburg, Purcellville and Middleburg are each unique, in their own way. If you're looking for a small town with character, plenty of locally owned restaurants and shopping - Leesburg is your best bet. With great schools and a family-friendly atmosphere, you can't go wrong. Leesburg is also the most convenient to the major job hubs of Washington, D.C., Reston, Tysons Corner and Herndon. Just minutes west of Leesburg is the small town of Hamilton, which boasts gorgeous country estates just minutes to downtown Leesburg. Minutes to the north, you can find Lucketts, Waterford and Lovettsville - where you can find a greater inventory of older homes for sale, which have plenty of character.

If you're looking for older homes that more closely resemble the country estates found in the U.K., you will want to look at homes in Middleburg. Another great place to raise a family, this is an affluent town chock-full of upscale boutiques, fine dining, art galleries and a rich culture that centers around fox hunts and equestrian events. As a former teacher, I can attest that Middleburg affords only the best educational opportunities - both public and private.

Purcellville is a unique blend of pastoral farms, a growing suburban landscape and a downtown area that has thrived in recent years. You can discover anything from fine dining to a locally owned bike shop, for those who choose to take advantage of the W&OD (Washington & Old Dominion) bike trail which passes through town. Purcellville has a reputation for being another great place to raise families. The schools are also top-notch and consistently receive top scores.

Loudoun County as a whole, will surely not disappoint you in terms of the quality of education and life. Additionally, with the completion of the Metro rail coming to Reston and eventually to Dulles, access to Washington, D.C. will be much more convenient.

I'm proud to call Loudoun my home and truly enjoy helping homeowners to make a smooth transition to the area.

Matt Shultz, REALTOR®
50 Catoctin Circle NE #101
Leesburg, VA 20176

Licensed in VA
Equal Housing Opportunity

Cell: (703)-300-0367
http://www.MattShultzHomes.com
Leesburg is a wonderful place to raise a child, and Loudoun county schools are some of the best in the country!!
My husband and I have lived in downtown Leesburg for 11 years and love the small town feel: the great restaurants, shops, Halloween and Christmas parades complete with fife and drum corp, the annual flower show where they shut down the town and build gardens on the main streets. It is wonderful. Unfortunately we're getting ready to leave and sell our house (FSBO) as part of our long-term retirement plans - a lovely craftsman style built in 2004 with a floor to ceiling stone fireplace in the main room that backs to woods and only a ten minute walk to the center of everything. If you're interested in learning more you can email me at tsuter2@verizon.net. Good luck with your transition.
Good questions, and yes, I do believe Leesburg, Purcellville and Middleburg have that small town feel, though each differently. Leesburg is larger but has a great downtown. Middleburg is a more affluent area with more expensive older homes. Purcellville is between the two.

I would actually also suggest checking out Round Hill, a small town just west of Purcellville. Many people just fall in love with it, and there are a lot of older homes in the area like the type you are looking at. However, you may find it just too small for your tastes(though short driving distance to Purcellville and Leesburg). Good luck!
Good morning Taylor - or afternoon where you are!

Outside of touting Leesburg as my absolute favorite "home" of the five major metro areas I've lived here in the US, it would really be best to have a live chat about what's really important to your family (sports, hobbies, lifestyle) to hone in on which communities might be a good fit. There are over 30 in Leesburg.

I support all of Loudoun County, so if developing a one-on-one relationship with an agent is something you desire, I would be happy to get you going in the right direction as you head down the homebuying path.

Kind regards,
Lisa

Lisa Moroniak | REALTOR® | Service360°
SFR - Short Sale & Foreclosure Certified
Phone: 703-635-0388
Fax: 703-679-1701
http://www.LisaMoroniak.com
Licensed in VA
Web Reference: http://www.LisaMoroniak.com
Actually, there are quaint areas and quaint towns that are much closer in to the pentagon, within Fairfax and Prince William Counties and within a a 30-45 minute commute (during peak traffic). Most people assume that they have to go all the way out to Leesburg and make a 1hour to 1-1/2 hour commute, but that is incorrect.
Feel free to contact me via email offline and I will be happy to share these areas with you. Thierry@thierryroche.com.
I think you would find the towns you ask about to be a nice place to live. leesburg ( where I live for 35 years) would be the first on the list due to the commute. Schools are all County Schools and are rated very high.
Safety is best check with the local police, I rasied 3 in Loudoun and had no problems. The shopping malls blend into the town and the downtown area is still like was, but changes are coming.
Hi there!
To add to what the previous posters have said about the area and the commute...

Loudoun County has a commuter bus service from Leesburg and Dulles to the Pentagon. I've talked with people who commute this way and this seems to be a great alternative to sitting in traffic and the commute times aren't bad. Check out the site for details: http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=969

Western Loudoun County has a number of small towns & villages that retain their historic charm and there are historic homes with loads of charm to be found in certain price points. Keep in mind that Loudoun has been one of the nation's fastest growing counties in the past number of years so the vast majority of homes available on the market are relatively new and part of planned communities. However, with a patient and well-thought out home search, I'm confident you will find your "special place to call home" in Loudoun!

I have a blog about the local Loudoun area: http://LoudounCounty365.com which might give you more insight into attractions and things to do around here. Also, the Loudoun County visitor and convention bureau has an excellent site with loads of information: http://VisitLoudoun.org

With all that said, I can tell you that Leesburg has been my home for over 15 years. I enjoy international travel, including my annual trip to Germany for christkindlmarkt, and can honestly say I'm always happy to come home to Leesburg. Best of luck with your upcoming relocation. If there's anything I can do to be of service, please contact me.

Warm regards,
Lisa Cromwell
http://www.HomeInLoudoun.com
The short answer is "you betcha"! All three could be a match...
Though, of the three, I think Leesburg is your best bet -- awesome schools and community activity, cute little downtown made up of centuries old buildings, and every conceivable amenity on the outskirts. Commute time a little over an hour.
Middleburg is quaint but the Route 50 corridor is often too congested and I generally don't think of Middleburg as a family oriented town -- more "old horse money" and a bit rural -- not a high population of growing families.
Purcellville is a good match on many levels but it will exceed the "hour commute" parameter. In addition, there is no real "downtown" and there are some significant infrastructure/traffic problems during certain times of the day...
Please look at my website at MikeWagner - dot - com for a great deal of information about the areas you are interested in and to search the MLS (Multiple Listing Service). And, of course, please get in touch if you would like first hand knowledge of these areas. I am a twenty year resident of Leesburg and a ten year agent/broker who has helped countless families relocate to this area. Cheers and I hope this helps, Mike
Web Reference: http://www.mikewagner.com
Taylorlr,
If your husband plans to commute at 5am, 1 hour might be enough to drive from Leesburg to Pentagon. However, if he plans to drive between 7am -9am, 1 hour will NOT be sufficient - on bad days it will take him 2 hours to get to work, and 2 hours back. It means at least 12-14 hours away from his family.

You need to discuss this in your family so you are all on the same page.

I work with clients in Northern Virginia and will be happy to show you many communities throughout the area.
Also, my website is connected directly to the Multiple Listing Service and can search all area listings by County, Town, Zip Code, Listing Number, and Map. If you wish, you can sign up for the market updates and new listings delivered via e-mail directly to your inbox.

http://www.RealtorVivianneRutkowski.com
http://www.RealEstateWithViv.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Vivianne Rutkowski
REALTOR, licensed in Virginia
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY

Leesburg and Middleburg have a small town feel with a traditional "downtown", walkable area that has shopping, dining, etc. Purcellville is a small town, but the commercial is spread out and does not have the walkable downtown feel. The newer Leesburg commercial (big box stores, outlet mall) are located outside of the downtown, and in my opinion do not diminish Leesburg's appeal. Each town you mention has beautiful countryside just outside of the town limits, if you are looking for small or large acreage with your home.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I'd be happy to send out a free relocation package to help you learn more about the area! Loudoun County is truly a great place to live. They have a fantastic website (which will soon include a Homebuyers' Resource Page) @ http://www.loudoun.gov.