Home Buying in Freehold>Question Details

Diggy, Home Buyer in Freehold, NJ

Do I still need to have a home inspected myself if a relocation company has already done an inspection? Or do I just address the issues on the report

Asked by Diggy, Freehold, NJ Thu Dec 9, 2010

I'm buying a 30 year old house, but the transaction is being done through CARTUS relocation company. They already have conducted a home inspection and I've reviewed the report. The question is whether it's worth it to get another inspection done, or simply bring in specialists to address the problems on the current report. Thanks

Answers

15
Diggy,

I agree, get your own report. You ABSOLUTELY want to be there when the inspection is getting done. A good inspector will be able to give you insite to the home that you probably couldn't get otherwise. I have always used Frank Vadroska of Whitehouse Home Inspectors to do my personal properties. He is very thorough and I have always gotten an education about the home and vital components within.

That being said, AHS home warranties are a great idea as well. I recommend getting one even if you do get a home inspection. The inspection minimizes your risks, the warranty covers you in the event that you have a problem after the fact.

Hope this was helpful,

Marc Pollak
Sales Associate
908-507-8178
I will alllllllways tell buyers to go ahead and get their own inspection done. Inspectors for relocation won't be looking for the same things as inspectors for buyers.
The purpose of a home inspection is one of Risk Management. Everyone that has an interest, has a valid need to know what the risks are with regard to the home. A Relocation Company may wish to know if there are any major structural, electrical, plumbing, roofing or other systemic issues that will leave them with an unsellable home. You on the other hand as a potential home owner will want an entirely different kind of an inspection. Not only do you also want to know about major issues, you also want to assess livability, comfort, and maintenance issues. This is where you determine if the home is a potential money pit or not and if the previous homeowners did their own maintenance in a shoddy fashion. My advise? GET YOUR OWN HOME INSPECTION.
I would get my own home inspection by a qualified inspector, make sure that you ask several questions before hiring one. One of the things that I tell my clients is, not all home inspectors take the same amount of time to inspect a home, nor do all home inspectors walk the roof. We have found that not only do inspectors differ but so does knowledge, experience and price. You definitely get what you pay for. When your buying your dream home and protecting that investment, is also not the time to go cheap.
Absolutely get your own inspection! This is to protect yourself in the largest purchase you will most likely make. The relo company inspection is just to protect them in case of any non-disclosure issue. You should get your own inspection anyway.
That report was done for a disclosure to potential buyers and for Cartus knowledge. They state right on the report not to use it as your inspection and you should conduct your own.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
Your home is the most expensive purchase you will ever make. Play it safe and get your own inspection.
I recommend Robert Hahn of Family Building Inspectors in East Brunswick. He uses a thermal imaging camera that can see through walls and is one of the best inspectors I have ever used.

http://www.familybuildinginspectors.com/
http://www.trulia.com/voices/profile/Real_Estate_Pro-East_Br…
Diggy,

While I do concur with most of what the previous posters have said, if this is a Port Monmouth Relo deal, I can tell you that I have seen those inspection reports and they are more thorough that the $450 inspections you get as an individual seller.

I would carefully review the inspection provided and unless it is more than 3 months old, in my view I'd use that one and invest the money that you would otherwise pay for that home inspection in an AHS home warranty . . . it covers the house for 1 year and is about the same cost as the home inspection.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Associate, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct/Cell)
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Hi Diggy, Jeannie back just to reinforce John's advice - your home inspection is like getting an intro to home ownership, specfically tailored to the home you are buying. First and foremost, it is meant to identify issues, but you will walk away with so much more - such as home maintenance tips and an understanding - from a pro - of the makeup and condition of the homes inner workings.

Money well spent.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 11, 2010
Diggy,

Congratulation on the new home. Even though relocation companies perform their own home inspections it is prudent to have one done based on the quality or age of the inspection report. Homes are always changing and if you feel that the relocation company home inspection is not thorough, you should get your own.

Also, where you present with the relocation company home inspector? If not, it is a good idea to have a home inspector walk you through the house and go through every element and answer all your questions.

If you have any questions, you can email me.

John Falco
(201)500-7460
john@fha-homeinspections.com
http://www.fha-homeinspections.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 10, 2010
Relo companies generally have a thorough inspection done as a part of the process BUT I still recommend that you hire an inspector and be present when he/she inspects the home. Time may have passed since the Cartus inspection, new issues could be identified, and importantly, the inspection is an opportunity to learn a great deal about the home you are buying. I always recommend - really insist - that the buyer is present for the inspection.

it is nice isn't to have the existing inspection report as a starting point - that is a benefit of relo transactions.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I've performed a number of home inspections following a relocation inspection. Following a review of the report, I have uncovered issues which were not mentioned. One report stated that the inspector could not remove the cover to the electrical panel because there was paint on the panel screws!

The same report missed half a dozen open junction boxes in the attic, did not comment about there being an inaccessible crawlspace. They took one picture of the roof from the ground. (ranch on a crawlspace). They missed a broken storm window and quite a few other items. Conclusion: Hire your own inspector. I recommend hiring an independent inspector who will inspect and report solely for your benefit.
For peace of mind; have the property inspected by someone you hire.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Not knowing the issues at hand--it never hurts to have a second opinion--however, if you are comfortable with the report do bring in the specialists to address all problems--then go from there.
It would be in your best interest to get your own inspection done on the home and then compare it to the one from the relocation company. If you don;t have time for a second inspection then hire the needed specialists to fix the issues.