Home Buying in Sherman Oaks>Question Details

Abhijay, Home Buyer in 91604

Do I need to get a geological inspection on home in Sherman Oaks hills?

Asked by Abhijay, 91604 Thu Sep 4, 2008

House on Oakfield Dr. off Beverly Glen below Mulholland and above Valley Vista is built into the hill. Property inspection was good. Also there was permitted work done on it in 1996 when it was built, but geological is not available. Seems like things are okay, due to strong property inspection and recent permitted work that had a geological done (per permit). But I'm a first-time buyer and not sure what to do since inspection is costly (over $1000). Help?

Answers

4
I suggest you do. I am currently doing a project on 3457 Camino De La Cumbre. It was found the geological background in the vicinity involving regional landslides. Houses built at the area before 1980 may not meet the current build code standards. Mark L., 10-16-2010
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 16, 2010
I see your post date of 9/4/08. I sold a house on Beverly glen. Geo is always important. I know the hills of Sherman oaks are on ancient land slides. $1000 bucks is cheap for knowledge. How much is the house
Web Reference: http://www.polypreview.com
Ab
If you have a concern then pay to have it checked. Your purchase will be a big investment so take reasonable steps to insure your peace of mind.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Abhijay,

As a former geologist I have to tell you that in some areas where a home is built on the side of the hill during a heavy rain flooding and landslide may be possible. You would want to know if the hills above and around you home have good drainage and history of landslide/mud slide in that area. You need good ground cover(plants) so they can hold the soil in place. Check with the city or the county and see if they have a copy of any geological report. Make sure you get flood insurance if they cover landslide/mudslide. I recommend a geoloical inspection if you can not find any recent report.

Homa
Broker Associate
Prodential California Realty