Home Buying in Pasadena>Question Details

Al, Home Buyer in Pasadena, CA

Do I need to do a city inspection during escrow if I agreed to a Pasadena Occupancy Inspection waiver?

Asked by Al, Pasadena, CA Mon Dec 16, 2013

If I agreed to sign a Pasadena Occupancy Inspection waiver and agreed to pay any inspections, etc. from 4B(2) in the CAR purchase agreement, do I need to complete the inspection before the close of escrow, or is it just my responsibility to get it done within a certain time frame after closing?

Answers

4
Yes absolutely you need to get this inspection done during your escrow period. Visit the code compliance desk at the Pasadena building dept and have it ordered, and it sounds as if it will need to be at your expense. You will need to be able to give a code compliance officer access to the property on the day and time of the inspection. Once they have completed their report you can then ask for a temporary certificate of occupancy which generally gives you 30 days after the close of escrow to address and fix/repair/remove, etc any code violations on the report. Only major violations (ie un permitted living space, illegal garage conversions, major safety issues, etc) will need to be reinspected by a code compliance officer. All other minor violations can be cleared by signing off that they have been completed. Keep in mind that the waiver of liability for the temporary cert of occupancy will need to be notarized and an original copy delivered to the city prior to issuance.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 16, 2013
When we bought our house in Pasadena the seller(realtor) put off the inspection so we ended up signing the waiver and then getting the inspection after closing. Now we want to sell the house and accomplish the same thing. Sounds like everyone is saying the inspection needs to be done before close of escrow, but is it possible to get the buyer to sign waiver and do inspection after closing? Thanks in advance!
Flag Fri Oct 3, 2014
yes , although you have agreed to sign a waiver , you have to have pasadena city occupancy inspection , and after which you can obtain the form and file the buyers liability with the city of pasadena
Flag Mon Dec 16, 2013
Yes you do.
Your agent should know this. If they do not, you may not be working with the right person.
If the city requires an inspection prior to selling and the seller wants you to waive it I would be concerned that there is something the seller doesn't want you to know. Check with the city on regulations. And I would at the very least have contractor and pest inspections so you have a good idea about condition of the property.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
King Realty Group

lance@king-realtygroup.com
415.722.5549
BRE# 01384425
You may have trouble ordering the inspection yourself. If that's the case, simply ask the seller to order it and you pay for it. Besides the fact that the inspection is required, you will really want to know what the city inspector points out. There could be major work ahead that you are not aware of. Pasadena has gotten much stricter about what they let slip by. You don't want to be a position of having to tear down buildings or rebuild additions to code etc unless you know it's coming! Some items do not have to be completed within 30 days and the inspectors will give you extensions for some of the major items. You simply need to keep them in the loop as to what you are doing.