Jules, Home Buyer in 54302

Do I need my own realtor?

Asked by Jules, 54302 Sun Mar 21, 2010

I found a home and decided to put in an offer before I lose it. I have made an offer and the realtor is supposed to be typing up the paperwork to submit to the seller's lender. Do I need to find a realtor to represent me or am I fine to do this on my own?

Answers

7
Dianne Hicks (951) 514-5709’s answer
Jules
Chances are no matter what a Realtor is going to get paid. Why would you not one that has your best interest in the process. A Realtor representing seller is obligated to represent the seller and their best interest.

Good Luck!!!
Hello Jules and thanks for your post.

If you're the only buyer for the home and you're not located in an area where multiple offers are being submitted for homes, you can certainly represent yourself without an agent. To do this effectively, you should be aware of the protocol or procedures for making an offer and have purchased or prepared an offer with the assistance of an attorney or utilizing forms available to make an offer.

Based on the information in your question, the home in which you're interested is a short sale, isn't it? If this is the case, then you might have found it to be better to have an agent or Realtor familiar with short sales help you buy the home. In many cases, short sales are peculiar sales that require the expertise of both the listing agent and buyer's agent to obtain a successful close of escrow. Navigating a short sale without the assistance of a professional can be difficult, frustrating and, to be frank, ultimately not worth the wait in the eyes of many buyers.

If you submitted an offer with a contract prepared by an attorney or prepared by yourself with forms available through the stationery store, then you are representing yourself. However, if the listing agent prepared the forms for you to sign, you've just engaged the listing agent to be your agent in the transaction, and you will no longer be allowed to hire another agent for assistance. If this is the case, talk openly and frankly with the agent to discuss your expectations.

Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
You have a better shot of getting the Offer accepted by dealing with the Listing Agent(as that is what I think You did).If You do not believe this try "Dragging" another Agent in on this after the Offer was written an see what happens.Now wait and see how many so called Buyer(s)' Agents respond to this Question!They will tell You that You NEED Someone to "Represent" You.Let's see what happens!It has probably already started!
Hi Jules,

If the listing agent has already created the offer.....and you've signed it, then you have made this decision. That Realtor is also acting as YOUR Realtor. They have a duty to you as the buyer. But since they are representing both sides, their first responsibility is to the seller. If it's a normal sale...and things go smoothly, this is not necessarily a problem. But if you have not already gotten this far....I would highly recommend you find your own Realtor to write the offer for you, and represent you. The buyer's agent is paid for by the seller, so it costs you nothing....and they will only look out for your best interest.

Karen
Are you then dealing with the listing agent directly-- is the listing agent also acting as your agent--dual agency--if so and if he/she is in the midst of presenting your offer it may be too late to have your own representation--however, if the dual agency has not been established yet--do have your own representation.
Jues, Yes I would suggest you get your own realtor and have them draw up the offer as the sellers realtor is working for them. Having a realtor represent you does not cost you as they buyer anything so why would you not want to be represented. If I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me and I would be happy to help you as a buyers agent.
Nan Brennan
Century 21 First
Appleton
Don't do it on your own.

You would be much better off with your own Realtor.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA