Home Buying in Copperas Cove>Question Details

Starting Over, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

Do I have to wait until my divorce is finalized in another state to buy a home in Texas?

Asked by Starting Over, Charlotte, NC Fri Aug 5, 2011

Answers

9
I agree with the general advice here. Unless you are on good terms with your ex-spouse it is better to wait. If you want to move forward and do not want to wait make sure your ex will willingly sign away her rights to the property and definitely consult a real estate attorney before proceeding.

Best of luck to you.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
I have had two clients close on homes in Texas during their divorces. But, I will say that they both had excellent legal representation and coooperative soon-to-be-ex-spouses, who signed away any legal claim to the new property. Without both, I would wait until all is final.
Have a blessed day!
Ronda
It is in your best interest to wait until the divorce is final to close on a new home. This is a community property state and you don't want your soon to be ex on any documents when you purchase your home.
Thanks everyone, still living in NJ but atleast I know to just wait on the paperwork.
Yes, wait until the divorce is finalized or you will just be creating a pain in the butt for yourself down the road.
You don't want to sign on the dotted line if your divorce isn't final as Texas is a community property state. However, that does not mean you shouldn't start the process. Buying a home involves a lot of steps which would be good to get started on so when you are ready you can just find the home you like and write an offer. Call me if you would like help as I am not far from you.

Yolanda Boyarin
254-291-4405
Linnemann Realty
Yolanda@linnemannrealty.com
No matter what is always best wait TILL after the divorce

Texas DOES require you to place spouse on title UNLESS it is all cash purchase.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
No....

But the soon to be Ex WILL BE on title of th new property as Texas is a community Property State.

All lenders are the same on this.

Tom Burris
Mortgage Banker
DallasLoanGuy.com
(214) 763-4629 cell/text/nights/weekends(Really!!)
tomburris@dallasloanguy.com
Lending all across the entire Great State of Texas!!
That is a question for a loan officer, they need to review your financials first, the other key is before your divorce is final, wuill your spouse have ownership interest in anything you but now, that question should be asked of your divorce attorney.

For the mortgage part, meet with a local and trusted mortgage broker, they can prequailify you at no cost, they will look at your credit plus your financials and let you know if there are any programs that you may quailify for before your divorce is final.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/scott_godzyk/2010/10/where_do_i_i…

please see my blog for tips and advice on getting amortgage
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com