Chris Baker, Home Buyer in Glenview, IL

Do I have to be an agent to list my home for sale on Trulia?

Asked by Chris Baker, Glenview, IL Mon Mar 24, 2014

I'm looking to do a For Sale by Owner transaction.

Answers

14
I believe you can post it but theres a fee for it.
No you sure dont. you just have to have a free account. You may want to list with a realtor however as they will bring a higher price due to driving more interested parties. Supply/Demand
Hi Chris,

Good luck selling your home, it's a great time to sell!

If for sale by owner doesn't work for you I can help you reach a bigger pool of buyers in a shorter time period.
Hi Chris -

I see that you're thinking FSBO - if I have a buyer whose profile matches what you're selling, and I see your property for sale somewhere so I know about it, I'll call to see if you'll pay a commission to a broker who brings you a buyer...

That's IF I know about it - so make sure you get it out there!

Working as a Realtor in Chicago and the North Shore is a full-time job, one that I take very seriously.

There are several online real estate listing sites you will want to be on in addition to Trulia. The nice part about listing with a Realtor who puts the property on the MLS and has a solid marketing plan is that you can be comfortable knowing that your listing is everywhere it needs to be, and anyone who is looking for what you have to sell will find it. In addition to Trulia, Zillow and Realtor.com there's also Redfin, Oodle, Hotpads, Homefinder, HomeSnap, Movoto and MORE! You'll want a QR code link to your Single Property Website and a Text Code for the link as well. On your website you will want to include professional photos, a floorplan, and links to your virtual tour and your narrated tour...

A professional, full-time Realtor relies on effective marketing to earn their living selling homes for the highest possible price in the least possible amount of time.

There are all sorts of Realtor personalities out there - I suggest you speak to several and when you find one that you feel comfortable working with - put your effort into following the agent's advice so you can get your place sold and move on!
I would be more than happy to help you; please feel free to contact me at 847-388-7500!
If you are a home owner and wish to submit your listing to Trulia for sale, please note that Trulia does not accept FSBO listing submissions at this time. However if you are working with a full-service or flat-fee listing agent or broker, he or she can submit your listing.
Good luck to you Chris, but yes this is for RealtorĀ® & MLS based postings.
Trulia does not allow for sale by owner listings. In order for your property to appear on Trulia you will need to list it with a licensed real estate professional.
Yes, Trulia does not permit non professionals to list on the site. Have you really thought through trying to sell on your own. How familiar are you with real estate transactions, with negotiating the the contracts used in your state, with resolving home inspection issues.? How do you plan on giving access to your home to buyers? What's your marketing budget, how will you determine pricing, evaluate multiple offers and the quality of the buyers making them? These are just a handful of the questions you should be asking yourself. As Suzanne MacDowell indicated in her answer did you know that most FSBO sell for less than if they had listed with an agent and what she didn't write is almost 85% of those who try it end up getting a Realtor after wasting between 3-6 months trying on their own. FYI- the next three months are the prime selling season and you don't want to waste them. Perhaps you might want to give it some more thought before making a decision on what is for most people one of the biggest financial transactions of their lives.
Are you aware that, on average, homeowners who use an agent to help them sell their home receive 25% more for their homes than owners who sell on their own? That is the very latest information from the National Association of Realtors, 25%. Kind of makes it a 'no brainer' doesn't it?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 25, 2014
No you can post it yourself. You just have to pay for it.
Hi Chris!

Nice to meet you. No you do not have to be an agent in order to list your home for sale on Trulia. There are many for sale by owner sites you can use that will help you. I have a list specifically for properties in IL in case you need them.

You many still want to interview a few agents as part of your plan to sell your home. You would be surprised as to how much value (not to mention how much more money) a real estate agent can bring to the table.

All the best to you!

Diana Rosero
Prime Partners @ Keller Williams Realty
CalBre# 01806901
Direct: 818.859.9930
Fax: 818.301.7488
Diana@DianaRosero.com
http://www.PrimePartnersRealty.com
No you do not, but you will need to work with an agent to get it on MLS. Why would you want to list without an agent? In my opinion, it's the best deal money can buy. Let's discuss your gameplan!
I believe a home must be on the MLS in order for it to show on Trulia. I would also recommend you interview at least 2-3 listing agents to let them show you what they would do to sell your home. Odds are this would be one of the largest transactions that you will take part in. Why wouldn't you let a professional who handles these transactions all the time, is a skilled negotiator, and has the ability to have your home shown safely, help you with your transaction. Also, an agent will help pre-qualify potential purchasers and save your valuable time from tire kickers.

Just a thought!