Home Buying in Sparta>Question Details

Saunders, Home Buyer in Sparta, TN

Did the economy affected the realeastate market in sparta ,tn price range 150000 and above ?

Asked by Saunders, Sparta, TN Tue Jul 28, 2009

Answers

3
I'm NOT a broker or a realtor, I have lived in this community (for about 13 years now) here's my take, I agree that prices have NOT gone down here, there have NOT been many foreclosures like in FL (we have been looking to possibly sell our housein the near future & buy or build again (we'll be downsizing as the kids are finishing college soon & hubby will be retiring from the Post Office)

Prices are still better here than most other states. We still don't have state income tax to pay & the property taxes in Sparta are much lower than FL (we lived there for 17 years, but are originally from NY) so we are still looking to stay here for our retirement years. We like the independent spirit that encompasses Tennesseans in general.

We live a bit out in the country (we are 12 minutes from the city of Sparta, 25 minutes to Cookeville or McMinnville) to have freedom from city regulations & restrictions, bought 6+ acres & custom built a house, tried our hand at raising a few sheep, chickens etc.

County Agriculture office & neighbors were a big help. People are there if you're friendly but respect your privacy if you wish to be left alone.. We can host a church get together , make a huge bonfire kids can ride 4 wheelers, shoot at targets, go hunting out the back yard (neighbors let us hunt on their adjacent land) ,...

I am NOT a realtor! Here is a link to the house we custom built so we would be sure of the quality:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3601-Pettit-Cove-Rd-Quebec…

Just thought I would post as I have no vested interest in getting someone to move here, so you can trust my post as objective. Hope this helped.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 26, 2012
Yes, the economy has affected the housing market in the Sparta, TN area in homes ranging from $150,000 and above.
There have been several factories close in the Sparta area with the most recent news of Phillips Lighting closing within the next year. Prices of land and homes have been affected due to many foreclosures in the area. We have seen a decline in the price per acre of land and the housing market as well.
I don't want to sound negative as there are also positive issues that should affect Sparta as well. Hopefully, the economy will start to pick up in the near future and properties will once again take an upward spiral.
The economy has affected the Sparta, TN (38583) real estate market over $150,000 somewhat. First of all, several large employers left the area just prior to the slowdown and just as the economy really slowed last fall. But new jobs are entering the market, so that affect has stabilized somewhat.

Primary impact has been the reduction of buyers in that price range, so homes are on the market longer. Since the area hasn't been hit as hard as other areas by foreclosures, many sellers are reducing in small increments and waiting for the right buyer rather than wholesaling their their home. But since this area was already very attractive in terms of price, surroundings, and convenience to larger towns, it is still an excellent place to shop for homes, farms, and investment property.

As a REALTOR, I am still bullish on Sparta, TN and White County, TN.
Web Reference: http://www.BrennaPiper.com