Home Buying in Georgia>Question Details

Hank Bailey, Real Estate Pro in Buford, GA

Did Today's Widespread Rash of Open Houses Cause you to Buy?

Asked by Hank Bailey, Buford, GA Sun Apr 11, 2010

This question is for potential Buyers only. No Realtors please! What I am curiousabout with the push to have Open Houses this weekend by the real estate community, is whether or not you went to an Open House today and if you did, did you contemplate putting an offer on a house you saw? Did you make an offer today on a house you saw today for the first time? Did the push to hold so many Open Houses in our area change your buying decision or time frame in any way to buy?

Thanks for your response. Please just email to this post! If you DID NOT go to an Open House and you are a potential buyer I would like to know the "No's" as well.

Answers

3
There were a lot of open houses this weekend? Who knew???

Ok, I have seen on trulia some mention it was going to happen.

I am still waiting for better prices to arrive. If seeing $8,000 for buying go away did not motivate me to buy now what difference would a bunch of open houses make?

I can still see a lot of reasons for house prices to drop much more. Not wanting to waste my money I refuse to buy with prices still in bubble territory. No open house or $8k bribe can change that.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 11, 2010
Its true that as a rule Opens don't sell your house. They are great for getting a wide variety of people in there and they can see the property and hopefully tell someone about it. They help turn the neighbors into your sales people. Several weekends ago I did have the fortunate experience of holding a house open that we had a contingent contract on. I had a person visit who would have never ever come to that house with their realtor and they walked in and said "I want this house." They told me who they were working with and asked me if i knew her cell number as they didn't have it with them. I actually called the realtor and handed the phone to the buyer. Later that evening I had a CASH offer NOT contingent on a sale or an appraisal to close whenever the seller wanted. My sellers were extremely happy. Not only were they able to free themselves of the uncertainty of a contingency, they got about 30k more on the sale. totally worth the two hour investment on my part I thought.
Hank,

I'm a realtor and I'm going to answer anyway! I was out showing property to clients this weekend I hope many of us were. It's that time of year and the tax credit deadline is approaching so many of us are busy!!

Driving around my clients and I saw a few open houses and stopped in a couple just because they were easy showings and did not require any appointment or scheduling and we saw the balloons and signs in areas we were already in. It's not a bad time to host an open house just for that reason.