Kimberly Cal…, Renter in Marina del Rey, CA

Definition of bedroom....

Asked by Kimberly Caldwell, Marina del Rey, CA Thu Jul 12, 2012

I have visited a few homes in the area and i really think that some listings are calling some spaces "bedrooms" but they do not meet the legal definition. Is this different in california? or just accepted? I looked at 33 reef #6 and its basically a 1br 3 bath with a loft, but they call it a 2 br. Legally dont the rooms have to be enclosed? Any thoughts?

Answers

7
Dorene Slavitz (213) 814-5238’s answer
Dear Kimberly,

The "bedroom" issue is a matter of some debate among many involved in Real Estate. Lofts do not have doors on many of the rooms, but they do have closets and windows and are called bedrooms. Some clients install folding screens or sliding doors to close off the rooms and for privacy.
It is generally agreed that the room must have a closet to be considered a bedroom, othewise it is called a "den".
You may have your own ideas about what a "bedroom" is. In that case I would be very clear with your Realtor, and let them know what is acceptable to you and what is not. That way, you will not waste your time on unsuitable property, and your Realtor will be able to screen out homes that do not meet your criteria.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2012
The definition of a bedroom is an enclosed room with a closet. I have shown properties with an extra room but not closet. That should not classified as a bedroom. In MDR you with see lofts classified as bedrooms. I have to defer to the tax records. On the listings the agent sent at top first is status and next to status is ADDRESS. Hit that link and you will have the tax accessors records on bedrooms, baths, year built, square footage and etc. for property. Lenders goes with the tax records.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
Kimberly I find that the post important part of your search should be size of the home.

For example I have seen two bedroom homes with a large living room and large dining room around 2000 sq ft and I have seen four bedroom homes that were like cubes around 1300 sq ft. I personally would have chosen the larger home and brought in an architect how to redesign and make it work for my needs.

Hence I would not get focused on terminology. When that is important you can always pull the permits and then you will know what is "legal" and what is not.

Endre Barath,Jr.
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills, CA

homes@endrebarath.com
310.486.1002(m)
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
It does get confusing and a lot of agents (for marketing purposes) will stretch with regards to the number of bedrooms. The best thing to do is find an agent in the area you want to live and let the agent do the leg work finding you the perfect place with the exact number of bedrooms to suit your needs. When you think about it agents are looking at homes everyday so they know the inventory and that can be very helpful to you. Let me know if you need any help in locating the right place for you and your family. 310-488-3415
A bedroom is minimum 7' x 10' with a window in proportion to the room size, a door. Building code does not require a closet. That is more of a rule of thumb.
I've seen this before as well...I always thought the definition was a room with a closet and door....As you've seen, many agents are unfortunately calling a loft a bedroom these day..
Also this one.... 30 Galleon St, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292 if you look at photo #24 you see that the "bedroom" is just an open space that the stairs come into with a bed thrown in the corner.... this isnt legally a 3rd bedroom is it?