Home Buying in Jacksonville>Question Details

Sam Robbins, Home Buyer in Jacksonville, FL

Deercreek and Deerwood

Asked by Sam Robbins, Jacksonville, FL Thu Jul 10, 2008

My wife and I have been looking for houses in the Jacksonville area for homes and were curious about the Deercreek and Deerwood neighborhoods. These neighborhoods primarily seem to consist of 10 - 15 year old homes, but at relatively high price points as compared to the surrounding areas (when looking at price/SF). For example, I've found the asking price per square foot ranges from $170 - $200 for Deercreek on many 4/3 - 5/3.5 whereas some newer communities to the east range in asking price from $100 - $125. Are the deercreek and deerwood neighborhoods worth the extra money? Or are most of the listings in these areas priced by people who still have delusions of 2005 and 2006? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Answers

8
We have been watching the market for a nice home in our price range in Deercreek and I will tell you- the homes sell for a higher price because of the quality of life in the community. The security is excellent and the covenant must be top notch because grounds are always immaculate and there are no cars parked in the roads, no trash, etc. Deercreek homes sell fast... not as sure about Deerwood. If you can afford a home in Deercreek - I think it's a great place to live.
Sam - some of the price differences you are looking at are based on differing amenities from community to community as well as different property sizes. Also, both of these communities are gated, and I do not know if you are comparing them with other gated communities.

As you are probably aware, larger homesites, and communities that offer a full range of amenities typically start at higher prices. If you enjoy the amenities, and the gated community environment, you can certainly negotiate on any home you are interested in with an experienced agent.

I hope you find this information helpful - If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Carol Zingone
Broker Associate
Vanguard GMAC
904/993-9048
carol@carolzingone.com
Web Reference: http://www.carolzingone.com
There are still some delusional sellers in this market. To get a true picture you have to work with recently solds not only in Deercreek but anywhere else. If there are not any recent solds then you have your answer. Thanks, Jack Vance
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 16, 2008
Deercreek and Deerwood are both very desirable neighboorhoods. Both are gated comunities locate on golf courses. Deerwood is a little older than Deercreek. Both communities offer lots of ammenities. They are both located off of Southside Blvd. which is a fast growing area centrally located to major highways, shopping, and lots of great resturants. It's not too terribly far to the beach as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2008
Sam

Janet brings up a good point. Many Deerwood homes have not been updated and others have had full renovations. Homes in the community that have been updated do command a higher price. Homes that border the golf course also sell for a higher per square foot price

When I gave you the SF prices for golf course community homes I did not incude Deerwood. I realized that I did not make that clear. I was referring to Deercreek. The price I gave you was an average for the most recent homes sold in Deercreek Many of those were not on premium golf course, lake front or preserve lots.

Homes in Deerwood have a broader range per square foot due to the varying degrees of updating, lot size and lot location. There is also a larger number of over 4000Sf homes in Deerwood and homes that sell over 1,000,000.

Deercreek and Deerwood offer a quality of life and lifestyle. Many buyer's prefer or demand communities that offer such exclusivity. They are both beautiful communities and very convenient to the Corporate Southpoint/Deerwood area. Anyone considering executive homes in the upper price ranges owe it to themselves to include both these communities in their home search.

My clients who live within these communites usually stay within these communities when they purchase their next home. Depending on whether they are upsizing or downsizing they always find another home within the community that meets their needs. I think this says a lot about the community.
Web Reference: http://www.cathysloan.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 12, 2008
Sam,

The reason Deercreek and Deerwood are higher is because of gated communities with golf courses.
Deerwood's golf course is private. In Deerwood the lots are larger and if a home is on the golf course
the price is greater. If you will look at the Deerwood houses you will find 5 houses that are in the $265-270 per sq ft range that are all on the golf course and have been renovated in the past 3 years. The key to price differential is the cost to renovate.

Would love to show you our listing. Complete renovation - not just cosmetic! It was a 90% rebuild. The satellite is not good because it was under construction at time of photo. We can be very competitive in selling. Call Janet K. 278-1004 or 422-8237. www. Listwithfreedom.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 11, 2008
Sam

Deercreek and Deerwood are large gated country club communities filled with custom and semi custom homes on large lots of 1/2 acre or more. They offer full amenities including golf, golf pros, tennis, tennis pros, fitness centers, pools, club house restaurant and roving security guards. Deerwood actually has an estate section with executive homes on acreage. The majority of homes in the country clubs offer hardwood floors, crown moldings, granite counters, custom kitchens, custom cabinetry, tile floors, full brick or stucco exteriors, extensive landscaping, etc. Should you visit Deercreek or Deerwood you immediately notice the difference upon entering the guard gate between the country club communities and the other communities you mention. One of the newer communities to the east is filled with Pulte tract homes on small lots of 1/5 to 1/4 acre with each home resembling the other with small variations and homes ranging from 2000SF to 4000SF.

Resales in Deercreek and Deerwood still command a fair market price. The asking prices of the country club homes may be $200 SF but the selling prices in today's market are averaging closer to $170 SF. During 2005 & 2006 the country club homes sold for prices exceeding $200 SF

If you would like to take a tour of Deercreek or Deerwood, I'll be glad to meet you at the guard gate. I have a listing in Deercreek that is needing a refill of marketing supplies by next week. Just contact me and I'll coordinate with you. I'll answer any questions you may have and not expect anything in return.

Homes in Hampton Park, a gated community to the east are averaging selling prices of $165 SF and The gated community of James Island is averaging selling prices of $127SF. Obviously the listed prices in both these communities are averaging at least 5% higher. Neither of these communities offer the full range of amenities of Deercreek or Deerwood.

Cathy Sloan
Re/Max Specialists
(904) 635 4766
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 10, 2008
Sam,
You've certainly done your homework. Both Deerwood and Deercreek are golf communities but the feel is completely different, AND the golf courses are Different too. Are you a Golfer? Will you want to join the club to play golf, tennis or belong to the pool? Both these clubs are having specials with NO initiation fee for the summer months.
I am a Professional Realtor with Keller Williams Realty, but ALSO an LPGA golf professional. (I played on the LPGA Tour from 1980-89.) I'd love to take you out golfing at both courses, and show you the homes, to see which community you enjoy more.
Like you've encountered...The current asking prices may or may not be realistic. As a professional, it's our job to help you purchase a home at the best price.... We use the comps of the previously SOLD homes to help show you what the home is worth.
If you need any help....email me at buyandsellGOLFhomes@gmail.com or call 735-8666

Jeannette Kohlhaas
"A Straight Shot to a Successful Closing!"