Dhoorundher, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Decent Towns with low Taxes.........does that exist?

Asked by Dhoorundher, New York, NY Wed Sep 3, 2008

I looking for some good towns in NJ that have lower taxes, but have decent school system and overall ratings. Most of the towns I have come across in this criteria have very high taxes (ex. Livingston). I am looking for towns with 25 miles of New York city.

Please let me know if you folks have any suggestions.....or if there a list of towns and responding tax rates is available.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately. Essex County, where Livingston is, has a higher tax rate in most of its suburban areas. However, towns in Union county such as Summit, have reasonable taxes and has a train station in town, if your commuting. Feel free to contact me with any questions at 973-488-1265 or jgenovino@weichert.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 12, 2011
Yes, Somerset County communities, including Warren, Watchung, Basking Ridge - are good values by NJ standards. Well regarded schools, proximity to highways, and in the case of Basking Ridge on the train line. These will be on the outside of your mileage parameter, but we are popular among commuters - our proximity to 78 and 287 is part of the reason why. Many/most of the buyers in our communities start out as you have, looking in eastern communities, and then frustrated by what their money will and won't buy, move a little west to get more for their money, lower taxes, and still good schools.

That's how my husband and I ended up here. He still commutes everyday to the city.

Happy to help you explore this area - if you'd like to discuss further, email jeanne@feenick.com or call 908-337-0943.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Answer, yes! Question: how much are willing to spend and are you qualified for a mortgage to cover the expense. Morris and Union Counties.
Hi Dhoorundher,

Unfortunately for all buyers out there the market is pretty efficient in evening out any (perceived) tax advantages. Towns with a viable commercial/industrial base do have an advantage over towns without this extra income. Some towns with excellent school systems get an additional boost as a larger than typical percentage of children still gets sent to private school, making for more resources for those students that do attend public schools. Tax rates are usually available on each town's website. The most recent tax bills can be found on http://www.njactb.org

If you compare properties tax rates by comparing market value vs. annual tax bill, you would be surprised to find that Livingston for example is actually not that high compared with many of the lower priced communities surrounding it like Newark and East Orange. Just food for thought, plus I like to debunk what many people are quick to proclaim but few take the time to research in detail.

Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser/RE Sales Associate
Vollenberg Appraisers/ERA Statewide Realty
Web Reference: http://www.njactb.org
As far as taxes go, look for towns with large companies in the area. Those large companies will eat up alot of the taxes the township will collect. Those savings are passed onto the buyer. You can get a very nice house with property taxes that are not outrageous. Good luck with your search.
Dear Dhoorundher,

I am a realtor in Prundential New Jersey Properties in Livingston. When looking to move into any county
there is usually a matter of two prices; Home price and Taxes. Taxes will depand on your home price propety size and improvements. I think that it is a very general statement that Livingston Taxes are high. It depands on the house. for example- If you compare West Orange to Livingston, Livingston taxes are low but house prices are high. I think that before you really start looking for a house you need to get a better idea about your budget -that can be achieved by speaking with a morgage representative who will be able to let you know where you stand. I work with my partner Sharon Avram and we've been succesful matching buyers to homes including price and taxes. Should you require any further information you may contact me directly via email or cell:
SharonandKaren@PruNewJersey.com, 917-294-0356.

I wish you luck in your search. Karen Abramson
These towns are slightly further out that 25 miles. Harding Township in Morris County and Bedminster Township in Somerset County are very desirable towns with good schools and very low taxes. The homes prices are high however. Let me know if you would want further information on these areas. Good luck!
Yes, Morris County is known for its low taxes. You should check out Chatham, Madison, Mendham, and especially Harding -which has REALLY low taxes, but Harding tends to have higher sale prices because of it. If you send me your search criteria I will send you everything that meets your needs and you can then see what the taxes are.
Hi Sue,

i would like to buy house in new jersey with low tax, big land , good schooling system and easy to commute to NYC as my wife working in city.
i recently moved from Australia so not familiar with town and county here. Please email me list of towns with housing list. my email address is dhar82@gmail.com

Flag Wed Sep 16, 2015
It all depends on what you consider high taxes. By Essex County standards, Livingstons taxes are not that bad and as you mentioed, you do get an excellent school system to help justify the taxes. There are a few other Essex County communities (Roseland, Cedar Grove, North Caldwell) that have lower taxes on average than their neighbors. These communities are all within an hour commute (less than 20 miles) of NYC. I would be happy to help you find a community that matches your specific needs.