Home Buying in Northborough>Question Details

megatron, Home Buyer in 01545

Debating between buying an attached SF or a detached SF

Asked by megatron, 01545 Sun Jan 15, 2012

Debating between buying an attached SF or a detached SF home in metrowest area, both are new constructions and both are at same price point and more or less same sq footage. the attached SF has nicer finishing detail and a tad bigger. The detach one has bigger lot. which one do you think that hold more value in the long run ?
(sorry for my last post, i was referring to attached SF instead of duplex)

Answers

5
Your question contains its own answer. Detached, larger and privately owned land, and same price point. No association restrictions that you'll have with an attached property. If the locations are at least similar, you're done.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 20, 2012
Megatron,

Detached homes are generally easier to sell. Some buyers will dismiss attached homes because of the potential for "noise" issues, etc. and for re-sale you want to buy a property with the widest appeal. Having said this, other factors come into play... such as location of these homes, quality of materials, etc. A local buyer's agent can best advise you.

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts, New York and Connecticut
Berkshire Property Agents
12 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, Massachusetts 01230
megatron,
Things may be different in your market than mine, so lean on the local answers more heavily, but detached homes seem more desirable to me. I suspect they will appreciate better when the market comes back and have a larger potential buyer's pool than attached housing.
What does your local agent think? I hope you have a great local agent representing you and not the builders/sellers agent.
Hi Megatron,

If resale value is important to you...definitely go with the DETACHED single family home.

There is no such thing as an attached single family in Metrowest. It is deeded as a condo unless you are in worcester where duplex units have a party wall agreement.