Home Buying in Murrieta>Question Details

Ant83, Renter in Miller Place, NY

Cross country move to Murrieta, CA

Asked by Ant83, Miller Place, NY Mon Mar 26, 2012

My wife and I are planning on settling out west. We currently live on long island , ny. Needless to say it is time for a change. I work from a home office and can move anywhere. I have been to murrieta and temecula, I liked the neighborhoods. I am trying to find out what steps are taken to make the big move across the country a success! Im sure someone on here has done it. I wonder how does one buy a house while being so far away, what if a close date is moved and I'm in the middle of driving through Kansas? Just things I think about. I would appreciate if anyone can share their experience with a x country move( we live in a 1 bedroom so not much stuff to move), buying process from far away , and thoughts on murrieta. Thanks in advance!

Answers

11
Pack up your things and come here and rent for a short period of time. Perhaps three months. Then you will have time to learn your way around and not be pressed to buy something that you have only seen once or perhaps only in pictures. A short term rental will provide the time you will need to shop around and learn first hand what you do and do not like about certain areas or neighborhoods. There is so much to choose from, a short term rental would suit you well. Also, if you have a change of heart it will be much easier to move elsewhere.
Good Luck with your move.
Bev Sherratt, Realtor SFR
Homesmart
41463 Margarita Road Suite 100
Temecula, CA 92591
USA
951-285-9044
EM bevsre@yahoo.com
CA DRE 01490950
All of these answers have been from real estate agents or brokers that want your business. Some gave some very good advise. I too am in the middle of a move from Missouri to Murrieta. My advice is this:
1) Find a good agent/broker that you like (ours has been in the home building business for years and is now an agent)
2) Make sure you are pre-approved as indicated below
3) Make a trip out there for a long weekend, meet with your agents and see as many houses you can while you are there. Being able to work from home, you should be able to even take your work with you. This will give your agent more of a feel for what you are looking for.
4) Once you go back home if you have not found what you are looking for your agent should still keep looking for you, taking video and photos and send them your way.
5) we curently have an offer on a home and are waiting to hear back, but I am prepared to go out again at a moments notice even without my husband to look at more homes if need be. So flexibility is a must.
6) Our plan is to close before we move (overnight contracts etc) so therefore there will not be any time out there without a place to stay. Depending on your situation though this may not work. We plan on renting our house out here in Missouri, so we plan on having everything packed by a certain date and probably stay in an extended stay hotel for a couple weeks here before we make the drive.
I hope all of this helps!
Good Luck to you!
It totally agree with Brad below that it is of the utmost important to get your lending in order before you attempt to make your move. Surprises along the way are the last thing you need. I've been helping relocate people cross-country and internationally for over 30 years. I have a masters in psychology and I find that a lengthy conversation on your wants and needs is necessary for success. So much of today's home buying is done online these days and we have top of the line technology to help you choose your home and help you with each and every step that you must take. Give me a call any time as I ALWAYS have my cell phone at hand. A successful move is contingent on YOUR ability to communicate with your agent.

Cheryl Sommerville/Broker
HomeQuest Properties, Inc.
619-944-7653
cheryl@HQPmail.com
I think working with an agent who does some legwork on your behalf is critical...not all will do that. Like go to a property you are very interested in and record some video and add their commentary as to top the neighborhood etc.... Your agents needs to know exactly what you want.

You also need to work with a mortgage lender who knows what the heck he is doing so your closing date isn't delayed 5-15 days.

The best way to prepare for your loan approval and avoid any surprises that may cause delays, you need a Preferred Buyer Advantage Loan Approval. It eliminates surprises, brings more peace to you knowing your loan will close, and it closes faster! Plus, when sellers see you have the highest level of loan approval, you bring more leverage to the negotiation table.

Read about it in the web reference link below. Most lenders do not offer this or will not take the time to provide this level of approval up front.
I am in awe of your courage to make a cross country move! Would love to hear more about what has prompted this adventure. We moved our daughter to and from Syracuse with a dog and a cat. What an experience!!! What we loved the most was being able to see so much of our country. My advise would be to take plenty of photos and try to see as many of the natural wonders as possible.

Recently I've been assisting a family relocate to North Carolina and while they were traveling we were able to utilize hotel business centers for faxing, etc. As far as choosing a place to live, whether it be Temecula or Murrieta, there are plenty of ways to be able to do this. I would love to be a part of choosing your new home. Please feel free to contact me when you are ready.

Lillian Wlasiuk REALTOR®
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Home Smart Realty
951-834-2388
agentlillianw@gmail.com
http://www.agentlillian.com
DRE Lic. #01423045
Feel free to use my ListingBook account to preview homes at your convience. Just copy and paste the following into your browser: scottbarr.listingbook.com Be prepared to make many offers invetory right now is kinda on the light side. Also, make sure you work with a Broker who can get you approved by underwriting before you begin your search. Pre-approvals carry very little clout in todays real estate market. Without being "approved" by underwriting first ,your offers will most likely end up at the bottom of the pile.
You certainly are in an excellant position to move anywhere you wish, with work not being an issue. I live in Murrieta also, and can help you with neighborhood locations that suit your lifestyle, i.e.: schools, golf course communities, one story homes, views, etc. This can be accomplished from N.Y. with an agents help out here, or you could move on out here and stay at a hotel and actively pick out your new home personally, which a lot of out of the area people do. No matter where you are, all contractual paperwork can be handled by email, fax, overnight mail, etc. If you have any questions, big or small, or would like some help with your home search, my phone and email are below:
Happy to help,

Lorraine Nelson
Homesmart Real Estate
951-852-8811
lorrainenelsonhomes@gmail.com
Rivcntyhomefinders.com
Hi and congrats on the big decision to move cross country! We are a seasoned real estate team who helps people like yourself everyday move to Temecula, Murrieta and Menifee. You'll love it here. Feel free to call us or look us up online to view our impeccable reputation. Rent or buy, we can handle it and make your move smooth. We can begin by emailing you some potential options.

Thanks and hope to work with you soon,

Jennifer and Don
Brokers, Don Johnson Realty Group
Findyouahome@msn.con
714-856-3992
If you would like to talk more specifics about the logistics of buying and moving cross country i would be happy to talk.
Call or email is fine
Karen Totty
Karen@KarenTottyRealtor.com
Cell 951-970-5087
I have moved cross country twice, so I have been their done that. Too purchase a home you really need to be here to pick out your home, unless you noted the neighborhoods that are acceptable to you on your prior visit, after that the paper work can be done via over night mail even if you are in Kansas...

Give me a ring/text/e-mail and let me know your price range so I can send you properties for you to view...

Daniel Willms
Real Estate broekr 01192011
951-326-6410
dwillms@gte.net
I just assissted a family in a cross country move from Syracuse NY to Murrieta. THey would be happy to provide a testimony of my assistance.
I would be VERY happy to assist you!

Karen Totty,
DRE 01824834
Exit Realty Murrieta
951-970-5087