Home Buying in Baltimore>Question Details

tjohnson, Renter in Brookline, MA

Could my husband be eligible for a first time buyers programs, although I filed bankruptcy in 2010.?

Asked by tjohnson, Brookline, MA Thu Apr 25, 2013

I had purchased a home before I meet my husband and the home was placed on my bankruptcy.

Answers

8
In the US a first time home buyer is someone who has not owned their primary residence for three years. Same for every state in the US.
The next step for you is to find and ethical experienced loan officer who works for a lender that offers all of the first time buyer loans and has experience with your State and Comunnity assistance and grants for first time home buyers. Your loan officer and lender is a critical choice for you. An article,Consultation Interviewing Loan Officers, at Your-Road-Home.com will serve you well. You will also find serveral articles about loans and assistance for first time home buyers. Also be sure to read article #9 about the MCC Tax Credit for first time home buyers. The best tax credit yet ! And you will find a link to your State's assistance. Read the articles in the numbered order and you will become a savvy home buyer.
Gather up all the objective information you can find before you choose your loan officer and agent so you will know the right questions to ask and what the right answer should be.
Trulia is also a good source of information and when you find a good answer to your question vote for the answer. That will help all of the other first tme home buyers looking for good advise.
When your ready you will find loan officers and agents from your area on Trulia offering their services.

Best of Luck, Stephen Webber, 34 years of Real Estate for First Time Home Buyers
Web Reference: http://Your-Road-Home.com
T Johnson

Yes your husband is eligible for a first time buyers program if the BK was not placed on his credit and of course he hasn't purchased a house before. But even with a BK on your credit report depending on when it is discharged you may be eligible for some great loan programs and mortgage rates depending on what time your BK was discharged.

Give me a call we can discuss this further and see what programs would be a good fit for you.

Joseph A. Ray
Mortgage Broker
Branch Manager NMLS # 204912
Sutherland Mortgage Services, Inc.
10015 Old Columbia Rd. Suite B215
Columbia, MD 21046
Cell 443-303-7573
Office 410-290-6244
Fax 866-833-4210
Joseph.aliRay@SutherlandMortgage.com
Your BK generally has no effect on 1st time buyer eligibility. It impacts mortgage approval. First time buyer programs vary from state to state but generally, in the case of a married couple, only one person in title needs to meet the eligibility requirements. The second issue is your BK. If your income is needed to meet mortgage eligibility then your BK needs to be "seasoned". That is usually 3 or more years depending on loan type. If your income is not needed for qualification there is no problem. You become a non-borrowing owner. You are on the deed but not the mortgage. Any good loan officer can help you with specifics.

Bob McGee
Advance Realty Timonium
Direct: 410-560-4574
Main Office: 410-561-0004
Hi

If your husband has not owned a home in maryland the answer would be yes
Also the clock starts from the discharge date not when you filed it. We'd have to know more to tell you whether it was 2 years, 4 years or 7 years from discharge date that you can buy. How much do you have for a down payment and why did the BK happen? If you are late on bills AFTER the discharge date also that is looked upon extremely unfavorably by underwriters also. Hope this helps and there is just no set answer. You won't know until EVERY piece of information is known and reviewed by an UW. Anyone who says otherwise is mistaken.

Brent Mendelson
Senior Loan Officer
1ST Mariner Mortgage
O-240-235-5314
C-301-412-0259
F-240-235-8236
Bmendelson@1stMarinerbank.com
Lending in all 50 states
nmls#111407
Regarding whether you will qualify as first time buyers will depend on the program. For MD, the ruling is if you haven't owned a home in Maryland in the last 3 years you qualify. Also, the wait time for you to be eligible for a mortgage after bankruptcy is 2 years, so as long as your credit and income is good now, you should be able to me on the mortgage as well if you want. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. I can be reached at 443-384-4000 or JodySeibertRealtor@gmail.com
Yes if you aren't on the loan or title then that would be fine if he quaifies on his own. Remember though most first time buyer programs want to know how many people will live there. Don't lie. If it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Brent Mendelson
1st Mariner Mortgage
nmls#111407
Give me a call on my personal cell (423) 231-0737 and I will answer any questions you may have and give you some Lenders to call that I work with.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Diane