Rwagnerfam1, Home Buyer in Wheaton, IL

Cost per sf to build in Chicago

Asked by Rwagnerfam1, Wheaton, IL Sat Mar 16, 2013

Geoff Ommen’s answer
While there are many variables in construction costs, the contractors I work with use a $180-$200/sq ft baseline for brand new construction of single family homes. That makes the value of recently renovated homes very attractive in much of the Chicago area

Geoff Ommen
Broker Baird & Warner
As an area expert on new construction, it is impossible to quote you per sqft cost until you
design your home and pick out your materials. Also the land cost is a factor that must come into play.
There is a systematic approach to building a new home. I would be happy to volunteer my time to explain to you how this process works and I feel you will enjoy the conversation about the construction process. Feel free to reach out to us at info@rhoadesteam.com should you want to converse.
There are many variables involved to determine price per sqft. It would be so much easier if it was all standard! I would suggest working with an agent. However, you can do alot of research on your own on the internet by looking at similar properties that have recently sold were you are looking to build. Don't forget to keep the lot size, square footage, bedrooms,basement type, bathrooms,school districts, and amenities very close to what your looking to build.
Make sure about the lot cost. True custom homes are priced to build on your lot. New subdivision homes typically include a base lot that can be upgraded for view, look-out or walk-out basements.
Existing homes naturally include the lot. Always consider the location, size and landscaping of the property. Think about how you will use the exterior before you spend the extra money.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
I wish it would be as simple as having one number per sq.ft., not so....
It will largely depend on the size, style, construction, amenities, upgrades, low, medium or high end
quality, will it be a frame home, a brick or stone construction etc. etc. and there is still more to consider.
You will have to sit down with local builders and get their input, but of course it also all depends on the
lot you purchase, what is already available as far as utilities is concerned, and what are the local building
codes for that lot, that will permit a certain sq.ft. home, or even style....
Good luck to you
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
Unfortunately there is no per square foot basis to build. Cost is determined by builder via market value and is dependant upon location, amenitites, upgrades, lot size, garage, basement finishes, etc. Developments and subdivisions tend to offer more incentives and choices versus building on a particular lot.

What area and features are you looking for?

Christine Groves
Coldwell Banker Residential, Wheaton, IL
(630) 346-3272