Got Questions, Home Buyer in 30030

Cost of bathroom addition?

Asked by Got Questions, 30030 Tue Jul 17, 2012

Anyone have any experience with adding a bathroom?

I'm slightly stunned by the number of houses in good neighborhoods (Medlock Park & nearby), with only 1 bathroom.

Is there a range (say 20k or so) that you could guestimate the cost of a project like that at?

Side note, I recently spoke with a contractor adding a second floor to a home, and he said it was about $80k, which I ad always imagined to be more expensive, and that's what prompted me to ask this bathroom question.

Answers

5
Check the web reference for a full report and a downloadable pdf, but whenever I get asked this kind of a question, I always refer to Remodeling Magazine's cost vs. value annual report.

Their data gets more local every year, and here is a cut and paste with Atlanta's bathroom stats:

2010 job cost resale value costs recoup type of job 2011 comparisons

$36,496 $20,115 55.1% Bathroom Addition $40,710 $21,695 53.3%
$15,252 $9,950 65.2% Bathroom Remodel $16,634 $10,668 64.1%

And your contractor may be speaking very specificallay about smaller houses in Medlock Park or something, but the 2011 ATL average cost for a second story addition is over twice what he suggests.

Good luck - you might wanna talk to a few other contractors; I'm happy to suggest a few of the good players in Decatur.
There are many factors involved and the grade you are attempting to achieve. Then the is the matter of are you extending out or does it have an attic and you're adding the bath up there. I think many times when considering and a remodel many tend to forget the cost of the fixtures inside. You can get a standard $100 tub that'll work just fine or one that cost $10,000. You will pay for all fixtures outside of the cost of the construction, i.e. vanity, faucets, etc.

The typical remodel cost between $5k-$30k with an addition, again, keeping in mind the many different factors, betweetn $10k-$50k on a midscale level.
I've remodeled homes (note we are not a remodeler company) for resale in the Midway Woods and Belvedere area and the homes in Medlock Park are very similar. If it the plan that doesn't have stairs to the attic you would need to add a foundation and build out. You'll need to connect to the existing plumbing. You may find that your current plumbing needs to be upgraded. You may open a wall and discover termites (all of these things have happended to me, lol).

I'm guessing without seeing you'll be in the $20k ranch. Please consider the design and how if fits with the rest of the home. I've seen too many remodels that didn't consider how the remodel would "flow" with the rest of the home.

You can do it under ten thousand for sure. It really depends on how involved it is (are you using an existing room or building a new one), where the plumbing is located, and the finishes.

Chris
If you are adding the bathroom within the current structure, I think you could be in the $15,000 range. If you are actually creating an addition beyond the current structure, the cost could be much higher.

There are a number of options that make sense in the 1950's homes.

Obviously, each home and lot is unique, so these are just general comments. A contractor will be your best source.

No, I think you could add a bathroom for around $10k, depending on the featrures and the size. I know what you mean about that area. I sold one on Eastway to a couple and the previous owner had turned the garage into a master and bath.

Let me know if I can help. I know a contractor in that community, too.

Best of luck,

Jan Huchteman
Buyer's Agent/Associate Broker
Duffy Realty
404-372-6071