Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Julianne, Home Buyer in 94303

Converting a townhouse/rowhouse into a multi-unit rental

Asked by Julianne, 94303 Mon Sep 26, 2011

I'm new to the area - are most townhomes/rowhouses suitable to be converted into individual multi-unit rentals? What is the permit process like for this in DC? How long does the permit process usually take? How does one go about learning more about condo conversions?

Answers

2
Julianne
I am a Realtor and architect. I will be happy to answer your questions. Please give me call, thanks
Zoning is the determining condition to divide a townhome or rowhome into more than one unit. In DC, R4 zoning allows for two units by right. Anything more than that would require a zoning variance. This can be accomplished by appeal to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a variance. This is time consuming and may not be granted. If you are in an historic district, any exterior work would have to be approved by the local design review committee and the Historic Preservation Office and its Historic Preservation Review Board. None of this is impossible, but this is not an easy task. For condo conversions, once again zoning will dictate if it is possible. Conversion documents will cost you several thousand dollars. In what neighborhood are you contemplating this? Feel free to contact me for any advice. billpanici@aol.com; billpanici.com; (202)277-4675.