Home Buying in Glenview>Question Details

leonsroarteam, Renter in Ridgecrest, CA

Converting Multi-family to single family housing

Asked by leonsroarteam, Ridgecrest, CA Tue May 14, 2013

Hello the house was built in 1906 and was originally built as a single family. Over the years it was converted to a multi-family unit. Now we are trying to purchase it but I was wondering what we had to do to get it changed back over to that,since its just going to be my family living there.

Answers

3
Paul Cionczyk - Realtor/Broker’s answer
Definitely contact the Village of Glenview. It will be worth your time in gold! Tell them what you have in mind and the location of the property. They can check the zoning for you and tel you what process you should expect to convert it.

Naturally, your costs will vary depending on the scope of work, but there isn't a shortage of people that can help you with doing the actual work. The main concern should be, can it be done,and is it worth it to do it?

Let me know if you need any professional business referrals as you go through your process. You can reach the village at: 847-724-1700. Leave a message if you don't get ahold of someone right away, as they are very busy right now with new construction and remodeling season.

GOOD LUCK!

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | PaulCionczyk.Broker@gmail.com |PaulCionczyk.com
Web Reference: http://www.paulcionczyk.com
Leo,
I can't imagine that you'll have any trouble de-converting the house.
It sounds like a big job. I have a colleague that specializes in this type of work in the North Shore if you would like a reference.

He recently did the same kind of remodel job for himself and is an expert on the topic.

Let me know.

The first thing I would suggest is to contact the village where the house is located to see what restrictions there might be in doing such a conversion and to determine which permits are needed for the project. Then I would suggest getting several quotes from reputable contractors in the area (real estate agents could help you with that) to determine the cost of such a renovation. This could be a great opportunity for your family, but in a case like this, it's doubly important to do your homework before pursuing such a purchase.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of help.

Dayle Lively

847-507-8832