sr, Home Buyer in Ellington, CT

Contract termination details after inspection

Asked by sr, Ellington, CT Mon Apr 15, 2013

Hi, I recently had an inspection done on the home, it has some repairs. The repairs can be done by the seller but I am uncomfortable as the repairs are to the roof, HVAC and others.

Can I terminate the contract, by giving seller the notice?

Thanks in advance

Answers

5
Tracy's answer is spot on....refer to your what your agreement provides in term for inspection contingencies. Your agent/attorney will be able to advise you. Time to react to inspection results is limited so don't delay. Also note that you must put the Seller on notice in writing in most cases, verbal notice is not sufficient.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
Not always, depends on what your contract says. In Florida if you used a "As Is" with right to inspection yes you can but not all contracts read the same some agree ahead of time that the seller will pay X dollars for repairs and if the repairs to not exceed what the contract states you cannot just back out. You should call a attorney if you do not understand your rights.
Agree in principle with the responses, but you don't say whether you have an agent representing you. Do you have a written contract? Did you give a deposit? Did you have an inspection done by a licensed home inspector? Do you have a printed copy of the report showing the deficiencies?
If you haven't had an attorney review your contract, the time to get one is NOW!
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have written contract.

I made the deposit.

I did inspection done by a licensed home inspector

Yes I have printed copy

No we haven't had attorney review the contract.
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
You have a Realtor representing you....
Ask that agent that is working for you.
Hi Sr,

Whether or not you can terminate would really depend on the specifics written into your contract. In most cases there is a time frame attached to the inspection period. If this is in your contract and you are within your time period you should be able to terminate for any mechanical, structural or engineer deficiencies found within the scope of your inspection and receive your deposit back.

There are specifics to every contract/situation. You would really need to consult with your agent and/or attorney. So sorry there isn't a better answer. If I can help in any other way please feel free to reach out to me.