Home Buying in Ocean Pines>Question Details

Pat, Both Buyer and Seller in Calabash, NC

Contacting realtors on Trulia re: specific listings

Asked by Pat, Calabash, NC Thu Jul 16, 2009

If I contact the listing agent regarding one of the listings on Trulia, will I be obligated to use them later on if I wish to see the home in person? Will they be paid the commission if I purchase the home?

Answers

8
Dave Leiderman’s answer
The listing agent will...should...have the most knowledge of the home they are listing for sale, aside from the homeowner(s) of course. That said, you are not obligated to use that agent to see other properties. In my opinion, if you like what you see of the home then I recommend you contacting the listing agent unless you have a rapport or buyers agency agreement with another Realtor. If not, try the listing agent "on for size", see how your comfort level is with him or her and take it from there. As the prospective client, YOUR needs and criteria are what's most important. If you like the listing agent but want to see other houses then request to do so. If you don't like the agent - or better put - don't "hit it off" with him or her then pursue other avenues. Think of it as an interview process. I'd also advise not to go chasing listing agents around based on your property searches. Eventually you'll want to work with someone consistently who has your interests at heart and someone who you feel comfortable with. As was previously stated, the seller pays the commission in most locales so I wouldn't concern yourself with that. I spend a considerable amount of time in Ocean Pines and would be more than happy to work with you as you consider our area for property. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!
My years of experience leads me to the opinion that you try to find your own house, neighborhood, schools, etc. before trying anything else. No one knows what you want or need except you. Professionals have their place but can, more often than not, use up your time trying to out guess your needs. Search homes for sale through other sources such as the Web and using your time to drive around areas to find what you may like. It may surprise you how much your ideas will change.
Pat, save yourself a WHOLE ton of problems and find your own agent to show you this house. Using a listing agent to see a house you want to possibly buy is not the best idea. That agent represents the seller and the seller's financial well being, not yours. Therefore, you may not get the best price on the house. By law they cannot help you make an offer, they can only write up the paperwork. If you get your own agent, their responsibility is to you. The seller still pays the commission unless you enter into a different agreement with your agent. Mostly, the seller pays the commission (which is already set at listing time) so there is no conflict of interest with your agent. If you are not sure, call a couple of agents down your way and speak to them. Ask what they do to help their buyers, what experience they have, etc. It is a job interview so go ahead and interview. Find an agent with whom you feel most comfortable. If you need help locating an agent, I can help just ask. Good Luck!!! Cher
You will not be obligated unless you sign a Brokerage Agreement of some sort between you and said Listing Agent.

Yes, they will receive at least part of the commission, unless they are a Flat Fee MLS Broker who took their fee up front.

However, if they show you the house, and then you come back later to the same house with a different Agent, or you write an offer on it with Another Agent,
the Brokers might get into a "Procuring Cause" issue among themselves.

But that will not concern you, unless again you have signed some sort of Brokerage Agreement obligating you to work with or pay a commission to a particular Real Estate Broker.

----------------------
Best wishes,
Fred
-----------------
I'm no lawyer, but I think the commission is paid by the seller's broker to the agent that show's the home to the buyer.
You are only obligated to a Realtor by signing a Buyers Agency Agreement.
The seller pays the commisssion. The listing agent represents the seller. If you choose to deal with the listing agent, his/her loyalty is to the seller. You should choose your own agent. I would be pleased to help you (410) 600-5363. Good luck, Dennis
All depends on listing agreement HOWEVER in most instances YES.

RULE OF THUMB:
Never purchase a home direct from bank, builder, for sale by owner, or listing agent UNLESS you have your own agent representing you. EXAMPLE: would you go to trial using defendant's attorney. Probably not

GREAT QUESTION

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com