Home Buying in Gettysburg>Question Details

Maryl, Other/Just Looking in Wilmington, DE

Considering vacation home in Gettysburg; does anyone know the tax rates for property there, i.e., real

Asked by Maryl, Wilmington, DE Sat Jun 28, 2008

estate, school, county, etc.?

Answers

5
Your taxes are determined by the exact location of the home, but Gettysburg taxes are a little over $6000 per year for each $100,000 of assesses value.

Some counties in central Pa. use an assessed value that is fairly close to market value. Gettysburg taxes are calculated on a much lower assessment, so it is pretty important to get your agent to check your expected taxes on each home you are considering.

If you don't already have an agent, feel free to contact me. I know a great Realtor in Gettysburg who will be happy to help you.

Eileen's Green Team
We are in the middle of a county wide reassessment so taxes are being "evened out" as we speak. On average a house costing 200,000 will have taxes somewhere between 2500-3000/yr. Prior to the reassessment taxes could vary wildly from one house to the next depending on when the last improvement was made that required a permit. Until this year it had been 20 years since the taxes were reassessed. What type of vacation home you're considering will most certainly play a roll in your annual taxes.
Mary: Get the facts. Contact the Adams County Courthouse tax assessment office or the Adams County website to obtain the millage rates per county, municipality and school district. Multiply those rates by your assessed value for the taxes. The assessed value can range from 25-65% of the purchase price. In part because of this wide range, the County is currently (2009) undergoing a massive re-assessment since we do not have mandatory assessment every 3 yrs as many other states so everyone's taxes are likely to change when that is complete. Properties w/10+ acres may qualify for Clean & Green tax program which taxes the land at a lower rate, which also lowers your taxes. When a real estate agent emails you a listing from the multiple listing service, the seller's current taxes and assessed value are listed for you. I am a real estate agent w/Miller Real Estate, LLC. licensed in PA & MD, live in Gettysburg, and would be happy to help you. 717.253.6385 is my cell.
Hello Maryl, PA is not on a county system like some states. Each county here is split into townships and boroughs and real estate taxes can vary considerably depending on the location (school district, township, etc) where the home is. Also we will be having a county-wide reassessment soon in Adams County, but right now older homes are a bargain (tax-wise) compared to new construction. I read the other two responses, and figured you might have been scared off by now. I am a real estate agent in Gettysburg with Long & Foster. I would estimate that average taxes on an average house $200,000 to $300,000 would be around $2,200 to $3,400. New construction would be higher. I live in Gettysburg, but also have an "average" home in Bethesda, MD which has almost double the real estate tax I pay in Gettysburg.
Kathy Adams, Realtor
kat.adams@comcast.net
I lived in the area for 12 years. Generally speaking, Pennsylvania real estate taxes are VERY high. You have school taxes, occupation taxes and others. A small house I've just bought has taxes over 2k. My parents' ESTATE in MD is less per annum than my small home. Just make sure you get proper disclosure on the property. Your real estate agent will have it or you can research it at the Adams County Courthouse. That's located in Gettysburg.