98033, Home Buyer in 98033

Considering about buying from Merit Homes Inc....is that a quality builder? Do they take offers below the asking price?

Asked by 98033, 98033 Tue Sep 27, 2011

Answers

14
Stay away from Merit Homes in Kirkland, they are crooks. They use bait and switch tactic - offer a reasonable price, collect your deposit and drag their feet with approvals etc. Then if real estate prices are up they come back and ask for more. In my case it was $60,000 more. If you don't budge, they walk. Preliminary agreements are crafted to be unenforceable. I dealt with Greg Griffis, Angie was their agent. Again, bunch of crooks - stay away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2013
LOL, Tonya. That must mean it's about time for me to retire. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 27, 2011
1) They rank pretty high if you check them on the King County Parcel Viewer. The County gives them a 10-Very Good for that house. The highest I have seen for Super Custom West of market for almost 3X that price was an 11. Other new homes nearby are ranked a 9. So even though I have not worked with them, that's a pretty good indication that the quality is more than sufficient for that price.

2) I respectufully suggest you remove this question. No one can answer the 2nd part of your question in a public forum like this, and you are drawing competition to yourself. There are not a lot of homes that match that short description. You are drawing eyes and potentially other buyers to the home you are considering, and that could end up in your paying more for it. You should remove the question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 27, 2011
Merit is, overall, a pretty good builder. They have sold 5 houses in the last 6 months. 3 sold at 100%, 1 at 95.6%, & 1 at 96.7% of list price. However, more important then this is to find out how much the houses are actually worth & also if they got any other concessions in the deal. If you have an agent, they should be able to find out a lot about these sales & their real value. Unless they are bank owned, most new construction is over priced these days. If you do not have an agent, I would be happy to represent you.

In any case, you should have a buyers agent to work with. I would suggest, that as a buyer, you Google every agent that responds to your question here on Trulia, learn as much as you can about who they are online, read their client testimonials, so you know what their clients are saying about them, and then give us each a call and just ask us why we think you should work with us instead of another agent. This will take you a little while to do, but will be time well spent, as choosing the right agent is the first step towards choosing the right home. Then, pick the best fit for you and let them go to work for you with the skill and knowledge that they have. I hope to hear from you soon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 27, 2011
I would advise including an inspection of your own prior to closing. Get everything on your list done before you submit payment for your house. Your real estate agent should have someone that they trust. Best of luck!
I actually brought a home from Merit and have a very challenging time working with them. Reviews says Merit builds quality rooms, but after living here for a few months now, I question their workmanship. Still continuing to work with them to finish the punch list items. Their response time is slow. Happy to talk to others who may have similar problems.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 26, 2014
Merit homes is purchasing larger lots in my neighborhood, tearing out the existing homes, subdividing the lots, and building multiple homes on each lot. I purchased a home from Merit in 2010 without knowledge of the damage that this process is doing to the community. The lot behind my home had many old growth trees which lined my back fence. Half of each of these huge trees hung into my yard. Those trees were the reason I bought the lot that I did and I had a clear interest in them that I expressed. In December 2013 I received news from a neighbor that that lot behind me was being sold to Merit Homes. I sent a congratulatory email to the principal owners of Merit Homes, Greg Griffis and Josh Lysen, and I asked that they please discuss the trees with me before proceeding with their project. I expressed my interest in keeping the trees and explained that I hoped we could find a compromise where everyone could be happy. I hoped to find a way to save the trees while not infringing on their building or profits. If that was not possible, I would have liked to have had time to change the landscaping in my yard in accordance with the removal of the trees. I did not receive ANY response. I came home on June 8th to find four very large trees laying cut down in the lot, one of which had hung 20 feet over the fence onto my property. Merit homes never gave me the courtesy of any notification despite my very clear request for simple communication. I submitted a complaint for city code enforcement investigation then emailed Merit homes again to inform them of this. They told me that they did not communicate plans with me because 1) my email was too early, 2) they did not have building plans designed or approved yet, and 3) I should blame the voters for the Growth Management Act forcing concentrated growth. This response is unsatisfactory because 1) at some point before the tree removal it would not have been too early to communicate with me, 2) they should not be preemptively cutting down Old Growth trees without even having approval to build (no matter if they are allowed to or not, it isn’t the responsible thing to do), and 3) they cannot blame the voters for their own lack of giving their previous customers any courtesy of a simple response or notification. My experience with Merit homes has shown a lack of respect for customers and irresponsibly with removal of our old growth trees.
The folks below have provided some great advice. I would only add one note. Make sure it comes with a one year warranty. If you purchase it, order a home inspection before the 1 year anniversary.
Ardell, you always have great answers!!!
Merit is a good builder. The price is usually negotiable, and depends on how many other homes are on the market in that neighborhood, the exact location, and the features and floor plan of the home. Your agent should share that information with you to determine the offer price and terms for you home purchase.
I worked in the building industry for 4 years and I would have to say they do have a good reputation. Look at what types of warranties they offer and customer service support should any problems arise. As far as offers go I would hire a Realtor to go in and negotiate the best deal for you.

Web Reference: http://www.ajsocalteam.com
I am available to help you with that right now. I can look up some info if you are interested. Give me a call at 206-841-9976 or 425-483-6849