Home Buying in Chattanooga>Question Details

Christina, Home Buyer in Baltimore, MD

Considering a job relocation to Chattanooga. Have two small children great schools a must as well as a community with tons of kids. Suggestions?

Asked by Christina, Baltimore, MD Sat Dec 10, 2011

We are looking for 5 bedrooms, my husband would be working downtown so the closer the better.

Answers

6
Signal Mountain will offer a great family-oriented community. I am a native of Chatttanooga for 50 years and just moved my family up to the mountain four years ago. At that time, the new Signal Mountain Middle and Signal Mountain High School opened. My husband too works downtown. His office is on Broad Street. We live in the town of Walden. I find that the taxes are cheaper here, too. My husband has about a 20 minute commute to downtown. The high school offers the International Baccalaureate dipolma. Additionally, it offers dual enrollment college credit courses with Chattanooga State. Most of these classes are transferable to several leading universities in our state thru the Board of Regent programs and at most of the state's flagship colleges thru the University of Tennessee. My son will graduate as a senior in high school this year. They have an excellent athletic program, theatre, arts too. While Signal is a great place to live there are several other suburbs in our area that offer great public schools too. Additionally we have many church-sponsored schools and other private prep school with outstanding reputations. The Hamilton County Board of Education's website is a great resource. Also, the Mountain Education Foundation is a great resource for the schools on Signal Mountain so you may want to visit their website.
Christina,

The Normal Park Schools in North Chattanooga is supposed to be one of the tops for public schools in Chattanooga. The area that encompasses this school district is very small and most of the homes in this area sell for 300,000 and up which is high for Chattanooga and suggests something to me. I currently live in this area and i absolutely love it. There are kids everywhere and it has a very strong community and friendly neighbor feel.
Your best bet is to go to the Hamilton County website & look through the scorecard. (See the link below.)

Hope this helps! If you need more information, please let us know.

Scott & Janet Henninger
http://www.JanetSellsTN.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 10, 2011
Signal Mountain has a very highly rated school system and a community that is very family friendly. Your children would have lots of soccer leagues, baseball teams, etc. to join and enjoy as they grow up. It is convenient to downtown as long as you don't go too far to the back of the mountain. North Chattanooga also has a wonderful elementary school that many parents rave about. It is an older community with many interesting homes and is extremely convenient to downtown. The 2 areas are very different and I'll be happy to give you a tour of each if you are in town for an interview. Chattanooga is a great place to live and I enjoy showing it off. Please let me know if I can help you. Jacque Lyons Prudential Realty Center 423-987-9577
For school information see link http://www.greatschools.org/
Hello you would love this area. We have several schools that would be wonderful. Downtown is great, however you could live just about anywhere in the surrounding area because it's so close in proximity. You could live just about anywhere and it wouldn't take no more than :20 to get downtown. I would love to send you some information.