Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Bruninyc, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Confused about neighborhoods in Chicago. How is Lakeview? We'd like something down down Chicago around 500 to 600 grand with 80% downpayment. 3

Asked by Bruninyc, Chicago, IL Wed Jul 16, 2014

bedrooms and 2 baths. Right now we are only exploring. Not ready to sell brownstone in Brooklyn.

Answers

27
You've got many good suggestions below, and I'd like to add just one suggestion. You might want to grab a copy of the Not For Tourists Guide to Chicago for a quick overview of neighborhoods. There are so many here, and they don't all correspond directly to their census community area names/descriptions, so try to book to get a sense of the basics. Good luck with your move.

Christopher Thomas
Exit Strategy Realty
2235 W. North Av. Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 770-5947 (cell) (312) 577-0985 (fax)
chris@myagentchris.com
http://myagentchris.com
Lakeview is GREAT! Very family friendly. At your price point, you will probably end up in a townhouse or condo. Talk with your lender before you do anything else though.
Opportunities exist in Lakeview and the surrounding area. Get yourself preapproved first. Should you need any assistance - feel free to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Chicago, the City of Neighborhoods. At your price point in Lakeview location, you will be in a condo with 1 garage or exterior parking spot. Around 1600SQFT. Things get more spacious for the $$$ as you go North and West. For the "How is" part of your question, call or email to discuss privately.
I lived in Lakeview since 1974 and know the area well.

Matt Hoyt
773-771-4330
MattHoytRealEstate@gmail.com
Really nice properties for that price , you have a lot of options ...
En Lakeview Chicago tienes muchas oportunidades de comprar una casa o piso por ese dinero
You would have a good amount of options in that price point.

I would get a Realtor to help you out, especially if your not familiar with Chicago. Its free to use their services. Interview two or three agents and go with the one you mesh best with.
I live downtown and know the Chicago neighborhoods very well. As a former Professor, I enjoy the educational process and have lots of patience when needed. Happy to help. Call me. (773) 369-5865.
Lakeview is a great Neighborhood and about as safe as any neighborhood in the city (in my opinion). The area has a lot of different lifestyles, there is a lot of food, bars and entertainment and the headache of Cubs parking (near Wrigley) and traffic on game days (we lived on Lake Shore and Addison). Closer to Lincoln park the Cubs traffic is reduced. I personally would not want to live north of Irving Park. The neighborhood transitions into Uptown which I do not consider a very safe area and violent crime has been increasing up there consistently.

You'd get more for your money in other areas close by such as Roscoe Village (my favorite area) It all depends on your commute. Driving anywhere in the city is frustrating and public transportation is not as convenient as NYC.
Lakeview is a great area. Do you have any children? How many bedrooms are you looking for? If you would like feel free to contact me at nikki.aguinaga@cbexchange.com
Good agents can tell you a lot about neighborhoods that they know, especially as the developments, turnover rates, popularity, amenities, schools, accesses, alderman viewpoints and activities, etc. relate to that neighborhood. Yes you can and will do your research, but a superb agent will help you beeline to what you want and simplify the process while getting you the best deal possible.

Originaily from Brooklyn, Flatbush, living in Chicago for almost 35 years with over 30 years of real estate experience!
As you can see you are popular. Agents are not supposed to talk about neighborhoods like that.......security etc. We can just quote facts/demographics etc. You probably should find an agent to set up a search or 2 for you in various areas of the city to start to see what you get for your price point. Speak with friends/family/co workers about the 'neighborhoods or speak with the police about crime statistics etc.
My web site gives information on what I have been doing for buyers for the past 28yrs
@Bruinnyc,

Lakeview - a northside neighborhood - is one of the largest of Chicago's 177 different neighborhoods that are comprised of 56 zip codes. It's so large, it's often times broken down into sub-neighborhood categories: East Lakeview, West Lakeview and Wrigleyville (also home to the Cubs' Wrigley Field).

Here is a link with a description: http://www.dreamtown.com/neighborhoods/lakeview-east.html

Additionally, I've included a report of the inventory and recent sale stats: http://www.dreamtown.com/trends/June-2014/lakeview.jsp

The full report and specific neighborhoods and stats: http://www.dreamtown.com/trends/June-2014/stephanie-wesson.rpt

I'm also happy to have my office send you a map. If interested, I can be reached via the methods below.
Once your timing gets closer, we can discuss your needs and get your further acclimated.

Stephanie Wesson
Wesson Residential Group
312.423.9239 office
773.306.8700 cell
swesson@dreamtown.com
wessonresidentialgroup.com

Like Us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/WessonResidentialGroup

Connect with us on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephaniewesson/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 17, 2014
Great answer!
Flag Thu Jul 17, 2014
Chicago is a fantastic city! We have a lack of inventory to some degree in certain areas of downtown for 3 bedroom condos, so probably best to have a personal discussion regarding your specific needs and help narrow down neighborhoods. Lakeview is a wonderful area and is comprised of little individual neighborhoods such as Wrigleyville (Wrigley Field/ Cubs Stadium), Boystown, Southport Corridor, etc....

Please feel free to give me a call! Below is my contact information and you are welcome to view my website with further details about myself and my team.

Laura Meier
The Meier Group
email: lmeier@atproperties.com
website: http://www.atproperties.com/laurameier
@properties
212 E. Ohio Street
Chicago IL 60611
Chicago has several very good neighborhoods in and around the downtown area....a lot will depend on your requirements. Lakeview is a lovely community, not far from the loop but with it's own distinct flavor. I've been in real estate for almost 30 years, grew up in Chicago, and am very familiar with the different areas that might work for you. Would be glad to discuss your needs and motivations and see if we can come up with a match.....we can explore your options so if, and when, you're ready to make a move, you're armed with the knowledge that you need.
Lakeview is not in Down Town Chicago. While relatively close if you currently or plan to work downtown there are far better and closer neighborhoods to live in. If you are moving to Chicago I'd love to help you. I was raised in this city and love it so much. I also see that you are from NYC and as someone who has traveled there often I totally understand how the Chicago setup can be a little confusing and definitely much different than what you are familiar with. Give me a call and I'd be happy to help you find something amazing within your price point. My number is 312-342-2966.
Hello.
Lakeview is a wonderful neighborhood that spans quite a large area of all types of housing from very expensive single family homes in east Lakeview to many
Small Condominium buildings that were tear downs and now 3 or 4 unit buildings with many of them with 3 bedrooms and would be on the high side of $600 k. There are also townhouses 3 and 4 story attached housing with a one or two garage that could also be in the 600-700 k range to get. 3 bedrooms plus a family room.
So many options that should be available for you if you can plan on the high side of $600 -800. K. The. 500 k Price point is more of a nice 2 bedroom. In Lakeview. If I can be of further assistance please get in touch. Helen Jaeger Roth helen@chicago.com

I'll toss my hat in the ring, as a native Chicagoan and a broker for over twenty years, I'd be happy to discuss neighborhoods with you. I'll be in NYC later this month. There are many options to explore depending on budget, career and/or school needs. I can be reached at 312-893-7535.
Hello Bruninyc - I have been a broker in Chicago for over 20 years and used to live in Lakeview and nearby Roscoe Village. I currently reside in Lincoln Square area and work out of Wicker Park/Buck Town neighborhood. I do a lot of business in Lincoln Park, all of the Near North neighborhoods (includes River North, Gold Coast, and Streeterville), as well as the Loop, South Loop, and super hot West Loop. I would be happy to chat with you in person or by phone about all of these great areas, and what makes each special and unique. Please fell free to give me a call anytime at 773-588-2800, or email me at Scott@Chicago$Homes.com. I have exceptional knowledge of Chicago neighborhoods and would be happy to share what I know.

Kind Regards,
Scott
773-588-2800
It depends upon what you are looking for. There are numerous dimensions on which to make this determination: schools, property values, proximity to public transportation, amenities, crime, real estate market. Lake View checks many of these boxes.

You can get a quick overview of Chicago's neighborhoods here: http://lucidrealty.com/chicago_communities.php

I would also be happy to talk to you. We are a full service brokerage that shares their commission with buyers. In your price range it's worth several thousands of dollars to you at closing. I can be reached at 312-738-0232.
Web Reference: http://lucidrealty.com
Bruninyc,

Lakeview is a great neighborhood.

In a nutshell Chicago is on a grid with about 77 neighborhoods and many more subsets within each area. With respect to boundary streets Lakeview is between Diversey (2800 north) and Irving Park Rd (4000 north), from the Lake to about Ravenswood (1800 west). Streets where there is commerce (restaurants, bars, book stores, shops, etc) include Clark Street, Broadway, Diversey, Belmont, Southport, Halsted. There are several good public schools in the area (Chicago's public schools have attendance boundaries) and they include Blaine, Burley, Nettelhorst, Hawthorne. Anything east of Halsted is somewhat close to the lake (which is a jewel in the crown of Chicago) and lakefront paths and parks.

With respect to your price point you will find 2 bed/2 baths with garage parking at the lower end and the upper end will start to see 3 bed/2 bath with garage space. Anticipate assessments under $300 per month unless you go vintage. There are good options available.

When you decide you want to take a closer look, let me know. I will be happy to share with you the insights that make me the special guy I am.

Tom McCarey
Broker Associate
dwellcomehome with @properties
Top Producing Broker Since 2002 with More than $200 Million in Personally Negotiated Sales
773.848.9241
http://dwellcomehome.com
Depends on what you are looking for. Do you want condo/sfh? Do you need to worry about schools? What other things are you looking for ? I can tell you at your price point your talking about condos and it's a great area.
lake view is really nice, but logan square is more exciting at night, jefferson park is peaceful and its one of the nice neighborhoods.
There's no better neighborhood than the Gold Coast. I have a beautiful 950 sq. ft 1 bedroom at Delaware and Rush. Contact me if you would like more information or to set up a showing. edie312@gmail.com or 312-659-3343
Lake view is a nice area . We also have nice architecture here in Chicago including brownstones, greystones, queen Ann's , mid modern, chicago bungalows just to name a few. We also are a city if neighborhoods. Love to show you around our wonderful city
Lake View is a great neighborhood on the north side of Chicago. It is about 4-5 miles north of downtown. There is good public transportation from Lake View to downtown, great restaurants and plenty of shopping. The median sales price in June for a 3bedroom/ 2 bath condo is $495,500. Feel free to give me a call at 847-989-4870 or email dorie@doriewestmeyer.com. Thanks!
I can help you. My office is in Lincoln Park. I'm a broker from Berkshire Hathaway here on Chicago. Relocated from New York about 15 years ago. Chicago is a great city. I can help you decide on what neighborhood today for your lifestyle. Call or email me at 773-687-4692 or kcoyle@koenigrubloff.com