Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Rena In The…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Condo Under 200K (cash purchase) or more with loan in Chicago

Asked by Rena In The City, New York, NY Tue Sep 30, 2008

I have been searching and got advice once which were unfortunately not helping enough so I ask differently.

Here was my criteria in order of importance:
General:
- Safety - able to walk from the public transportation at night for a female.
- Accessible to public transportation within blocks (I don't & never will own a car), especially going to Loop as well as O'hare.
- A grocery store, coffee shop and CVS nearby at least. Will be nice to have good restaurant or two, too,
Condo Specific:
- Not basement or 1st Floor
- Live/Work if possible. (If not, I will need a rental property later for my office to set up)

My search has been primary focused on Wicker park, Bucktown, East Village, Ukrainian Village, and West Loop. However, 200K is not much of choice in those area.... If anyone can suggest any other neighborhoods or property based on my criteria, it will be highly appreciated.

Answers

4
Can I talk you into buying a car? It will give you major flexibility, kind of like a cell phone.
-Jack
http://www.best4wheels.com
Given your price and requirements, I can find you a place pretty easy. In regard to getting or mortgage or not, you just need to think about what you are comfortable with. If you buy a larger unit and spend more money can you sleep perfect at night? But by the same token, can you not buy a larger unit and spend less and still sleep perfect at night?

Contact me at my profile and let me know.
Have you thought of Andersonville or Lincoln Square? They are pretty hot areas in Chicago and have great things going for them (good restaurants, transportation, shops, green space)... Check them out!

Good luck with your search.
Rena-
I specialize in condos accross the city along the lakefront communities where you are looking. I can create a unique search for you according to your preferences and you can find a condo for 200K.
Contact me by my profile directly and we can talk further.
There is no obligation or fees for my service as a buyer's agent.
Maria Sabatini