Mark, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Condo Comparisons in 94105?

Asked by Mark, San Francisco, CA Mon Mar 2, 2009

I would like to know if there have been studies done that compare and contrast the individual condo builings in and around 94105 (Infinity, Blu, Watermark, Ricon, Lansing, Brannon, etc)? I am intererst in either studies or opinions regarding quality of construction, quality of amenities, location, cost per sq ft, resale value, etc.
Many Thanks,

Answers

4
Dear Mark,

I do not believe there is an actual site that lists the prices, square feet, views, floor numbers and amenities where you can compare and contrast the new construction complexes. Many agents, myself included, who have sold a lot of new construction, would be happy to talk to you about what we feel are the plus and minus factors of each building. You should also keep in mind that many of us are able to negotiate a lot of credits for our Buyers which do not show up because they are in addition to the actual final sales price.

Cheers,

Sally
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 2, 2009
I found an interesting site called New Condos Online. Most of the information looks like sales fluff to me. However, there is a blog section where you could ask directly to individuals in that area. It might help you gain some insight into the 94105 condo construction. It definitely lists "amenities."

There is a January 2009 report in The Front Steps.com: "Real Estate Insight, Statistics, Gossip, and News - with a Twist and some Flavor" : http://thefrontsteps.com/2009/02/18/san-francisco-home-and-c…

11 Responses to ““San Francisco Home And Condo Sales Down Sharply In January”” - perhaps this info will help. Good Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 2, 2009
Do you desire the best?

I looked for 2 years before buying my first home in San Francisco, and it was right down the street from One Hawthorne at Museum Parc. Let me tell you from personal experience that this is a fabulous location to explore the city from on foot. It is so close to great food (i.e. One of the best burgers in the city: Moes), culture (MOMA), entertainment (Metreon), shopping (Bloomingdales) and adventure (Ferry Building to Angel Island, Sansome steps to Coit Tower, XYZ and the W Hotel, Pac Bell Park, etc.))

In my opinion, this is going to be one of the great new developments in the city and I have been told they will begin selling at the end of the month. I'm not representing the selller on this one, and am definitely on the Buyer's team. Beyond the stats of it being 25 stories and 165 units, I think these units will be great new homes in SoMa; quintessential city living.

I have represented a lot of buyers / sellers (40+ Infintiy, 20+ One Rincon Hill, Metropolitan, Watermark, etc.) in SoMa / South Beach and hope I will have the opporutnity to show you what SoMa has to offer. If you give me 2 hours of your time I will give you back a personal tour of SoMa, and the reasons why I think One Hawthorne has the potential to be the best new development in 2010.

In order for me to represent you as a buyer at One Hawthorne, I must go with you to the sales center the first time you visit.

This opportunity might not be for everyone, but it may be right for you. Call or email me today.

Very truly yours,

Paul Hwang
Your SoMa / South Beach Super Broker
Skybox Realty
415.216.8746
40+ units SOLD at the Infinity
20+ units SOLD at One RIncon Hill
Web Reference: http://www.paulhwang.com
Mark - so many of your questions are subjective so you'll find a wide range of opinions. As to quality of construction, it's unlikely any 3rd party would conduct a study. You'd have to hire an expert to try to evaluate each building, but they've all been built with the latest stringent codes and come with new construction warranties, so I'd also suggest relying on your sense of "feel" for quality.

But I'll share some general thoughts I've heard from others, and from my own trips to these buildings. The Infinity seems to get the highest overall marks, and the gym and pool are quite nice, and it's very close to the Emcardero and water - good location (in real estate it's location, location, location). The Brannan has a stellar reputation and a great location... it's been around long enough and stood the test of time... whereas so many other buildings come out with a ton of fan fare, and a year or two later they're 2nd class citizens. Only time will tell if the Infinity can maintain as good as a reputation for as long, but so far many residents, agents and visitors have had almost nothing but very good things to say.

I'm personally not a fan of the location of both One Rincon and The Lansing. Too close to the bridge and related traffic. The 2nd tower at One Rincon is not being built, so the amenities are not what they initially promised. Blu is probably too new to have a real good idea, but lack of sales has led to a really dramatic price drop. So price per SqFt is probably the best there right now, and it's a decent location.

Overall, I'd suggest visiting multiple units in each building, and then sitting tight as the year goes on. Try not to get caught up in the hype. After a year, new buildings like the 2nd released Infinity Tower which only recently went on sale and hasn't started occupancy yet, will be "old" next year with the first re-sales. And re-sales are like buying a pre-owned car vs. a new one. It will be delivered in like-new condition at a steep discount.

That said, prices at The Watermark and Brannan have barely budged... at least for the most desirable units. If you're going for an unobstructed water view condo with outdoor space you will pay a premium. Think "location" both in the property's address, but also in the building itself... eg, it's views

You will find very low prices in units that stare at other buildings, and very high prices in the onobstructed view units, and obviously prices in between when it's a mix.