Home Buying in Westborough>Question Details

Robert, Home Buyer in Westborough, MA

Concern about a property

Asked by Robert, Westborough, MA Wed Sep 14, 2011

I am interested in buying a home in Westborough in a N'hood that has a property that concerns me:
16 Rev Thomas Hooker
Is the property.

This house was recently bought by CIL of Massachussets, INC. Which is non-profit organization. This is a single family home in a family N'hood. I have asked the realtors involved the story with this house and can not get a straight answer, other than there is nothing to worry about. Tempted to knock on the door or knock on some of the other houses around to ask what is the deal with this property.

One of goals of this CiL is to
"provide housing for those at risk of homelessness"

quoted directly from there website
Doesnt sound good to me
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 14, 2011
Hi Robert,

First, I am not familiar with what CIL of MA is and what they do, so I'm not sure about the situation with the home and what they're doing with it. I do know that as realtors, we are allowed to say certain things and not allowed to say certain things when selling a home. For example, we shouldn't be telling you things like "it's a great family neighborhood" or "you'll love the neighbors" because we are commenting on things that are not factual information about our listing. I would say if you have any concerns about the area surrounding a home you wish to purchase, to call the local police department and ask them questions, or go online and check out the sex offender website to see if any sex offenders live in the area, etc. Maybe find out the number for the CIL organization and ask them directly. That way you are getting factual information from a reliable source who knows the facts. Just my opinion...I wish you well on your search for home!

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 14, 2011
I can tell you the whole story. I live in this neighborhood and know exactly what happened.

The person who sold the house and moved last year was a long time real estate agent in W'boro. She had trouble selling the house and finally used her connections to sale it to CiL. When it became apparent the house was sold and to whom it was sold to many households in the area raised objections and there is still a possible lawsuit brewing over this. We are obviously not happy to have a group home in our neighborhood and we are all furious with our former neighbor, the realtor, who did this. She has skipped off to FL, and doenst care about the stigma of her former street.

A house around the corner is now having trouble selling and they have given up and now are trying to rent it out. Thanks a lot LD, nice to have a property zoned as charity on the street
Robert there is nothing wrong with knocking on the door providing your just a friendly neighbor welcoming the occupants. Sometimes we need to keep the client information confidential. Was the Listing agent representing both sides?
Research and having an understanding of any neighborhood is good so you can make an informed decision. Unfortunately, one can not choose their neighbors, unless its in a co-op.
What the *!%??

Why would this organization buy a home in a neighborhood full of 700-800K thousand homes for such a project. Do you really need granite, cherry and other high end amenities for a group home??

This sounds fishy to me. I cant believe that there were not lower cost alternatives that would have been perfectly suitable and more appropriate, even within WB.
talking to neighbors is always a good idea.
Having a group home in your N'hood will negatively impact on the value.
Stay away.

If your agent didnt tell you this, you should switch agents. It seems from the answers below they are not technically obligated to point this out, but they arent really keeping your interests in mind if they dont mention it.

This seems like a weird place for a group home.
Hi Robert,
You have some very helpful information so far! I couldadd in for you to search on line in 2 ways.
A. Google search house address and current owners name.
B. Go to http://www.masslandrecords.com search under both owners name and property address
I would be happy help you further as your buyer agent, just call.
Take care,
Joyce Kelley,Realtor
Web Reference: http://Www.joycekelleyhomes
I think this is the information you are looking for:
A site in Westboro is mentioned although no addressis given.

I live in Shrewsbury and there is a group home in the subdivision nearby and I have never heard any complaints nor has it affected the property values in the subdivision.

Hmmm...I don't see that it was on the market but CiL is the owner of record.

CIL is a not-for-profit focused on independent living...here is their contact information:

Cil Realty
Cil Housing Of Massachusetts, Incorporated
2484 Pleasant Street
Dighton, MA 02715-1523

Please let me know if I can help you further.