Mike, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

Comparsion btwn cupertino and palo alto area homes. Which would be better for life style , schools and resale

Asked by Mike, Santa Clara, CA Sun Oct 16, 2011

I am actively searching for home to buy either in cupertino (monta vista high school area) or paloalto (gun high school area). What would u suggest which one is better in following aspects and how does it differ much
a) Life style
b) Schools
c) Resale.
How would one area differs from other and what would you normally suggest buyers if there are confused between these two neighborhoods

Answers

6
Hi Mike!
I grew up in Palo Alto, went to Addison, Jordan and Palo Alto High School...later I worked in Cupertino in real estate for 8 years, with an office on the corner of De Anza & Torres.

I've lived here forever (50+ years!).

The two communities have completely different sensations. Cupertino feels more Silicon Valley, and Palo Alto feels more "to itself" in a way. More suburb of Stanford feeling with lots of professors and the like.

Gunn and Monte Vista are fabulous, high performing, outstanding schools and you cannot go wrong with either choice.

I would say on resale, Palo Alto has not been as influenced by the downturn over the past years as Cupertino was influenced and would be considered stronger price per square foot home-by-home comparison. .

On schools, I would visit the schools and get the feeling for them. Ask for a tour. Talk to some students in the various clubs. Attend a sporting event (if the school has any).

Lifestyle = very different but both have great advantages. Cupertino is slightly easier for many commutes. Palo Alto takes time to get out of (lots of lights) for most freeway access, and from some areas you almost have to take 101. So depending on where you are going to and from, this may or may not play a role in the lifestyle.

The most affordable areas of Palo Alto are close to Alma.

Cupertino feels more open land-ish near Monte Vista -- you may or may not like that! If you like a denser city feeling, then you will like PA.

If you like popping on the freeway easily, you will like Cupertino. Cupertino has De Anza College, Palo Alto has Stanford. Pretty different.

Feel free to ask other questions. I have family in Palo Alto -- the grandparents still live on a small street behind Gunn High School, and I know most of the streets there.

I also like Homestead High over in 94087 Sunnyvale for high school experience with excellence but not quite as academic-mania. And Mountain View High School has feeder homes in Los Altos, another strong school with a nice campus environment.

Erica

Erica Glessing Nelson
EricaNelsonEstates@gmail.com
DRE 01425475
408-416-7090
Hi Mike:

Thought you will find these 2 links useful.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/perry_mistry/2011/10/silicon_vall…

http://www.trulia.com/blog/perry_mistry/2011/10/cupertino_in…

Both have strong resales and schools, do call me.

Best regards
Perry
408-656-5343

Coldwell Banker
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 22, 2011
Hi Mike,

You have received some good answers below. It is against a Realtor's code of ethics to advise a buyer for or against a location. Here are some pointers for you to determine your choice.

Where you choose to live is totally your decision. Make your decision based upon how you like the area. You need to determine the lifestyle for either city and your preferences.

a) Depending upon your budget, you will get more house for your money in Cupertino, vs. Palo Alto.
b) From the resale point of view both the cities have done admirably in the past, even though we don't know the futuere, however, both cities have held proeprty values well in the past.
c) Both cities have good schools, however, do look at all the schools that you will get in CU vs. Palo Alto. Compare elementary, middle and high schools.
d) Lifestyle is a very personal thing, best would be to higher a Realtor, who can show you homes in both areas,then you study the areas and decide which one you like better.

It is a tough decision, the procedure can be made smooth by hiring the right person to help you with the purchase. You have to compare all the factors that matter to you and then make your decision.

Good luck with your purchase, please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Monica Goyal
408-476-0675
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
Best to publish and excel spread sheet for comparisons, Google search media authored articles , against professional code of ethics to render a statement

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Hi, You can visit http://www.homefair.com for in-depth reports and comparison features for any area. As for schools it's important for you to formulate your own opinion as what may be important to others may differ from what's important to you and your child. Visit http://www.schooldigger.com and http://www.greatschools.org for in-depth school reports.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Hi Mike and thanks for your post.

Frankly, only you can really decide for you and your family which of the two areas is "better" in terms of lifestyle. What I might like or prefer in a home and neighborhood environment may differ drastically from your own. The best way to "gauge" how you might like an area is to visit each area frequently and to talk with neighbors located next to or in the same area as the home in which your contemplating purchase. There are definitely "exterior" differences between Palo Alto and Cupertino in terms of the configuration of the town, the locations, and the styles of homes available in both price ranges--so consider these carefully with your Realtor to see what is most attractive to you.

As for schools, both schools are extremely highly rated (as you can see by their API scores). Both Gunn and Monta Vista have a history of excellence in academics, sports and extracurricular activities. And, both high schools are known for the achievements of their alumni. So, you can't go wrong with either Gunn or Monta Vista as a school.

As for resale, I'm going to give a slight edge at this time to Cupertino over Palo Alto for two reasons: 1) Cupertino is more centrally located to Silicon Valley and tech firms, so if you work in Santa Clara, then Cupertino is your town and 2) housing in Cupertino seems to be a tad more affordable than in Palo Alto--in other words, you get a little more home and little more lot size for the same price in Cupertino than in Palo Alto. Also, many of my buyers have expressed a desire for newer housing, and for this, I also give the edge to Cupertino over Palo Alto. I find a lot of great homes in Palo Alto that have been renovated and updated on the inside, but in Cupertino, a lot of homes have been completely torn down and rebuilt to be brand new.

So, Mike, there you go! Both are great cities and you can't go wrong with either! Just work with a great Realtor to help you find the best possible home for you and your family. If you are not working with a Realtor and need assistance, feel free to contact me.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
Buyer Rebates/Seller Incentives