Home Buying in Campo>Question Details

C.C, Home Buyer in Campo, CA

Commuting in Campo

Asked by C.C, Campo, CA Mon Jan 7, 2013

My husband and I are HIGHLY interested in buying a home in Campo; we foresee it becoming the "new Temecula", so we want to strike while the iron is hot! The only deterrent is the commute; we would be hemorrhaging gas. Is anyone familiar with alternate modes of transportation? Is there a bus or train route, or, like Temecula, carpools?

Answers

4
Cbbuchan’s answer
Campo also has a very active advisory board that diligently works at limiting mass construction. We like the small town and have no desire to see it grow. The few conveniences that we have are enough.

I commute to San Diego from Campo daily. It currently is costing me $21/day in my Corolla. I put over 2,400 miles on my car a month and during the winter I get to drive through snow that can reach all the way to Descanso.
There are no alternate modes of transportation. I believe there is a rural bus that runs maybe 2 times a day. Take in consideration that it sometimes snows up here, can be very windy and you will go through a border check point each time you leave Campo.
I agree with Patti. Temecula had a large investment group promoting the area. It took many years for the area to grow and become self sustaining, It is still not a completely stand alone community. Many of the residents commute to Orange County, LA or San Diego for work. Temecula was also along a major freeway whereas Campo is a bit off the beaten track.
If you are looking for a 20-40 year holding period, Campo may be a good investment. But I doubt it.
Temecula was a very small old town. Kaiser Aetna developed huge tracts of land adjacent to it in the early 70's. It was called Rancho California. As it grew over the last 40 years, it consolidated into the town of Temecula.

I don't see the same development happening in Campo. There is no master plan that I am aware of for putting tracts of single family homes, apartments, ranches, and commercial development to serve the area as there was in Rancho California/Temecula. I believe San Diego County has not included a plan for developing it in to a something similar to Temecula .Rather, the plan in place calls for leaving a lot of the back country undeveloped. Temecula was ideally suited to be a bedroom community for Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties. Campo, not so much.

I am not aware of any public transportation that would alleviate a long commute.

If your goal is long term, awesome appreciation, I would be happy to sit down with you, listen to your goals and situation, and give you the benefit of my years in Southern California as a Banker, Financial Planner, and Realtor.

I like the way you think : )

Patti