Home Buying in Cranford>Question Details

Howard, Home Buyer in Summit, NJ

Commute to Path train

Asked by Howard, Summit, NJ Sun May 3, 2009

Hi, it's getting clear that my new work place in NYC will be the downtown, 195 broadway. Mid-town direct train won't be so convenient as I will have to change to subway anyway. So I am looking at path train. I still want to live in Jersey and thinking what towns have easy access to path train in either Hoboken or Newark Penn Station. It seems the Maplewood-Summit-New Providence line is a possibility, Cranford-Westfield-Fanwood line is another possibility. Can anyone share some thoughts? What are the towns with good home buying potential and the commute convenience?

Answers

6
Geez, do relators actually answer the question asked or do they just start talking and try to sell you something? I guess the way they answer your questions here is the same way that they will service you in other ways

cranford train station to 195 broadway (via train to newark, path, walk) is about 50 minutes during rush hour, and it is about the same from the maplewood train station (via train to hoboken, path, walking). The real question is how far you live from the stations. That depends on you and how much you are willing to pay. The walk can be 2 minutes to 30 minutes. Cranford (and more Westfield) are more expensive than maplewood because of the schools. You do know that you can get off the midtown direct before you reach midtown, right? Most trains go through secaucus now, and you can transfer to get to hoboken (or just take a train that goes right to hoboken). Google maps now has a direction option for public transportation that is VERY good.
Thanks all for the quick answers. To clarify a few points. I won't mind taking a bus/train first to get to the Path. Actually that's what I prefer as I heard neighbourhood along Path lines generally have a higher crime rate (correct me if I am wrong). I am hoping my commute could be kept at around an hour one way. I am looking at single family house now. I was looking at condos but I changed my mind.
Hi Howard,

When I used to commute into the city from NJ, I chose the Cranford-Westfield-Fanwood line. You may want to get a train schedule for each line you are considering, and look at what areas have express runs to Newark to catch the Path. When I was there, and this may still be the case, Westfield had a great express route and it took less than 30 minutes to get to Newark because it passed all stops along the way. Trust me, the less commute you have - the more you will enjoy your ride long term. We lived in Bound Brook at the time and although I could walk to the station if I had to - the 2 hour commute in each direction (no express from BB then) was a killer even though you eventually get used to it.

If you could get in or near enough to Westfield - which has grown into a lovely town - I would recommend it.
Best of Luck,

Anne Wanchic
The Realtor Referral Assistant
Howard:
Welcome to New Jersey!
Livingston, West Orange-you can park at Harrison take path to NYC down town (commute time is about 30 min)
Livingston is a blue ribbon school and West Orange is a historical town, both are off Rt. 280.
Check out this links for more commuter information: http://www.panynj.gov
Grace Tse, ABR
Prudential New Jersey Properties
grace.tse@prudentialnewjersey.com
Hi Howard - Great to see that you are doing your due diligence. After doing a quick search in Maplewood and South Orange there are around 30 homes that fit your revised criteria (not clear if you are still only interested in Townhomes/Condos or would like to see Single Family Homes as well). I would be happy to discuss you needs in further detail. If you are interested in working together to find your new home please feel free to call or email me at your convenience.

-Tracy

Tracy Freeman
Sales Associate
Keller Williams Premier Properties of Essex, Union and Morris Counties
(Email): TracyFreemanRealtor@gmail.com
(Mobile): 1.917.604.5735
(Office): 973.376.0033 x305
Hi Howard, Yes, the lines you've indentified are all good. In terms of communities along those lines, much will depend on your budget. I'm activity engaged with several buyers looking along these same lines and so very familiar with the inventory. There are some great homes available, and those that are well kept and properly priced are moving quickly. Both Westfield and Summit have the appeal of an urban/suburban downtown with much to offer in addition to commuting ease - great dining, shopping, and cultural activites. There are some great communities that hug the train lines and I'd be honored to explore them with you.

You can reach me via Trulia or find me at http://www.feenick.com Pass along more specfics on your budget and requirements and I'll send you a sampling of what is availabe in these various communities. You'll find searching capabilities, transportation info, and school links on my website as well - I encourage you to visit.

Jeannie Feenick
Search and connect at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com