Home Buying in Irvine>Question Details

Stephaniestr…, Renter in Long Beach, CA

Commute question

Asked by Stephaniestrow, Long Beach, CA Thu Aug 16, 2012

We may be relocating from Vegas. My husband's job is between Culver City and Inglewood off the 405 (sorry don't know what the area is). How long of a commute would it be for him if we lived in Irvine? Are there other areas we should consider? We have a young child so we want to live by good schools. Thanks!

Answers

7
Stephanie, I concur with my colleagues. Irivine is TOO FAR. Without traffic - just to get to the Culver City exits off the 405 it's about 45-50 minutes not counting the commute time once you're local.

Torrance Unified - about 10-15 minutes south of LAX would be a great choice and many consider Torrance Unified to be one of CA Top 10 School Districts...just as Irvine and Santa Monica. The commute to Torrance from Culver City in traffic could still be 30-45 minutes but this is not the usual commute time.

But be careful - not all Torrance homes attend Torrance schools. Let me know if you need help there - I service Torrance. My sister lives in Henderson.

Felix
I would look at Santa Monica or Brentwood in Los Angeles. Great area's good schools and much closer for the Husbands commute :)
Hi Stephanie,
There are other great school areas a bit closer than Irvine. Brea has very high rated schools and is a very nice city to live in. There are also a number of private schools in the area you could send your children to.
The commute to Culver City from Irvine I believe is longer than 45 minutes during traffic. My son lives in Irvine area and commutes to El Monte every day. It takes him 45 minutes.
Culver city is farther.
I believe when a family is moving from out of state it may be a good idea to rent for a while to become more familiar with the areas and possible places you may want to settle on if you truly have no idea about the area.
Best of luck to you,
Connie Bramble
Prudential CA Realty
714-337-8718
Hi Stepanie,

It would be appx.45 -50mnts. without traffic from Irvine.
Your best research would be look for school district & the score for the school, get the crime rate in the area and other imoportant factors. Irvine is a great community to raise children, but the commute could take 2-3 hrs. of your daily time & on top of it stressful drive on the freeway.
If you need help once you've decided the area , I can help you further. Try the following link.

http://www.greatschools.org/schools/districts/California/CA

Good Luck
Rekha
949-202-6106
Hi Stephanie,

This is truly a tough commute. Your husband will be traveling the busiest freeways at their peak of travel. At 2:30 pm the drive time is about 50 minutes according to Google maps. Regular commuter hours could easily double that time without factoring in the occasional accident.

I agree with others that the Irvine schools are a great choice, however I can't speak about areas outside of Orange County.
Stephanie,

Have a look at http://www.sigalert.com each day during the time your husband would be commuting. This will give you a great snapshot of traffic flow. I think at rush hour, his commute will be greater than 90 minutes each way, on a good day, from Irvine
Your husband's job is close to the LAX airport and it is 45 minutes (without much traffic) from Irvine. Irvine does have very good schools and that is why people flock to this area. There are some good schools in Fullerton, some in Anaheim, and Orange as well and these would shave at least 20 minutes off his commute. You could also go to North LA County, but I would avoid most of the LA school system as it is overcrowded and low in funds. Please let me know if I can help!

Hanneke Jacobs
Short Sale Specialist
Harcourts Prime Properties
949)463-4339 cell
hannekej@aol.com
http://www.socalhomesold.com