Moving To The…, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

Colorado Springs, CO : Best neighborhoods for raising a family and GREAT schools?

Asked by Moving To The Burgh, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Nov 25, 2013

We are contemplating a career move to Colorado Springs (from the east coast) and we do not know anything about the area. Where are the best places to raise a 4 and 5 year old - looking for family neighborhoods, nothing too pretentious, and want good progressive schools. Thanks

Here are some of my favorite websites to help answer your questions. I would be happy to talk to you about your relocation and get a better feel for what you are looking for.

School rankings

Crime around the city. Type in Colorado Springs or a specific zip code

Meth busts around town

I hope this helps. Please feel fee to contact me at any time.

Tim Lambert
Prudential Rocky Mountain, Realtors
The question is subjective. Best area should be dictated by personal preferences, budgets, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc. , therefore why entertain what other people think or say, another's opinion may not be anywhere near the best thing for you; why not simply visit the area(s) of interest more than once and at different times of day, and see all firsthand; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 12, 2013
Here is a helpful link for you to review.
You can always call the local police departments to get crime reports on areas. I would get with a friend and/or agent that you feel you can trust so they can be your eyes and ears here in Colorado Springs. If you've narrowed down a couple of areas you like.. check out some you tube videos or ask your friends to drive around the area. There's a lot of information on the web, but don't trust everyone.

If you have more questions or need any help, don't hesitate to call me. I'd be happy to help you and your family. Good Luck! and Congratulations!

~ Tiffany Canady
Our 3 most popular school districts are Cheyenne Mountain School District 12, Academy School District 20, and Lewis Palmer School District 38. However, School District 11 and 49 both have some really good schools. Within these districts you will find many different neighborhoods and price ranges.
You can visit and click on the city reports section for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. They also have a great side by side zip code comparison feature. As for school reports you can visit,, and

What a major decision your family is making, by possibly moving to CO!

One thing I love about the Colorado Springs area, is that there are so many choices for all types of needs and wants. There are many neighborhoods that seem like they would meet what you are looking for. A lot of families have 'migrated' toward the eastern side of Colorado Springs, an area called Falcon. There are a few neighborhoods in Falcon that are still growing with new homes, and also have well established homes there. Two of the neighborhoods in Falcon, have schools within them: Woodmen Hills (Woodmen Hills Elementary) and Meridian Ranch (Meridian Ranch Elementary.) There is also a charter school in the same area, that a lot of people like.
With that being said, Academy School District 20 is a highly desired district. The district boundaries are quite large, and so you would have many options of neighborhoods within the district.

No matter where you would choose to live in Colorado Springs, there are so many great opportunities for young families to experience.
I would love to talk with you more and to possibly show you homes if you get a chance to come into town.

Liz Dalton
Fortress Real Estate Group, LLC
My husbands family lives in Ephrata and Sayre, PA and has for generations. The mountains and western movies urged him to travel out west to Colorado where he visited old friends and fell in love with the area. That was 1983 and he's been here ever since. My family moved here in 1965. We met and married in 1985 and have had our kids in a few of the school districts and 20 is one that receives raves but so are a few schools in Cheyenne Mtn. and Manitou Springs school districts which are west side areas with older homes in established neighborhoods. So it's all in what community you're comfortable in and commuting to and from work.
I'd love to help you find exactly what you're looking for. The Springs is an excellent place to raise a family, with many opportunities for fun and relaxation. Give me a call anytime with any more questions you may have! 719.373.9803
I also came from the east coast 22 years ago. Born in North Jersey, then Massachusetts and New Hampshire. We came here with 4 school age children from 1st grade to high school and definitely wanted district 20 schools. High quality schools with a great deal of choice within the district. District 20 covers a large area across North West and North East Colorado Springs. It is easy to set up a home search by area and School District. Give me a call with other questions. 719-338-6218 or
To get a great comparison of different areas of town, you can visit my website at and click on Market Insider. Just put in various zip codes and you can get information on schools, home prices, crime statistics and virtually everything you might want to know about a particular neighborhood. I'm also available to talk with you about my personal experience of living in Colorado Springs for the past twenty years!

Robin Searle
Sellstate Alliance Realty
District 20 is regarded as the best school district. Within that district, you'd have a wide range of homes with a wide range of pricing. Lots of parks and activities for little ones in various areas in that district. I'd be happy to load a search on the MLS which would automatically pop to your email when a home becomes available meeting your parameters, if you'd like. My email is if you'd like more info. Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like you're getting a monster storm for the holidays!