rssraj, Home Buyer in 11375

Code check about medical office

Asked by rssraj, 11375 Thu Jun 7, 2012

Can someone tell me what dept in Queens/forest hills can one call to check if code allows one to operate a small medical clinic like massage therapy out of a basement?

Answers

6
The Buildings Dept wil help. There located in Jamaica ,Queens. You can google their number.
Good Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 8, 2012
See link below for helpful information....
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/contact/contact.shtml
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 7, 2012
NYC Department of Buildings (Queens)

120-55 Queens Blvd, Kew Gardens, NY 11424

(718) 286-0600
Hi Rssraj, will you be living in the house? My understanding-you are allowed to have your own business in your own home. Of course you will need to meet certificate of occupancy safety regulations- egress,proper plumbing, electrical etc,etc, I would call an architect/contractor to find out the specifications and regulations. The building dept is on Queens Blvd across the street from Court House....Terry k 718-614-3167 or email TKorahais@elliman.com
Thanks guys - I spoke to the examiner today who said I need a handicapped entrance & a handicapped bathroom. Now, I've been to multiple home-based clinics (dental, herbs, etc) and none of them have a handicapped entrance.

Which leads me to wonder - how many people actually do everything sworn to code? How much of a big deal is if I provide a handicapped bathroom but not a handicapped entrance? It's going to be impossible to provide one in this house unless I do some major renovations installing a mechanical lift of some sort
Check your C of O

Or you may have see if you can change the C of O . May need to have some modification to have medical practice.

Consult with some architect and get some directions