Home Buying in Overland Park>Question Details

Gen, Home Buyer in Overland Park, KS

Closing on a home...

Asked by Gen, Overland Park, KS Thu Sep 4, 2008

How long does it take to close on a home if we are pre-approved and the home is vacant? Is it possible to close in a matter of days? Thanks!

Answers

8
I am going to guess that you closed in a matter of days (as opposed to months) but I am curious to see if you were able to close that fast or if you are still thinking about trying to make an offer. Some of these answers were leading you towards an early possession before closing but left out that there is actually an approved document that is called "Possession Prior to Close" and allows for you to move in before you close on your loan. Sometimes there is an agreed to rental amount, but there does not have to be. If you can get in for nothing or maybe just proof of insurance. I hope this is helpful..Let me know how this goes for you!!! :)

David Van Noy Jr
(816)536-SOLD
davidv@prukc.com
When you write the Real Estate Contract (Offer To Purchase) include your preferred closing date as one of the terms. If the seller accepts that term, then you only need for the mortgage lender and the title company to agree to complete their work by that date. Maybe they can; maybe they can't. If they cannot, you may be able to negotiate occupying the home prior to closing and paying an agreed upon amount to the seller. Some sellers will agree to that arrangement; some will not. Your realtor can help you structure the offer to include the most appropriate and workable solution.
Web Reference: http://www.mariatmorton.com
also important to remember if you havent closed yet, that any of the repairs that need be done can be negotiated for cash prior to cose as well. This can be a BIG time saver....how did everything go?
Sometimes. Once you've made the offer and the seller has accepted it, you enter the inspection period. After inspections, you may need to negotiate for repairs. After all parties have come to terms, the mortgage lender will begin processing the final loan. The title company will need to be furnished with all necessary documents in a timely manner so that you cna close on timel.
Less than a week would be an unusually fast closing.
Most lenders will consider 2--3 weeks to be 'fast."
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 28, 2008
My home took an additional 3 weeks after closing date because a missing assignment. It was a foreclosure and the title comp was in another state, just messy. Finally closed though.
Yes, if the home is vacant that can really speed up the process...There is a difference between pre-approved and the final process that the underwriters have to approve. The first step is the application process that just takes a short time. I have had closings in as fast as 5-10 days when the full loan process was already completed! It also depends on if you buy as is or if you have to get past the home inspection process...that can take a few days too.
Web Reference: http://www.BettySimmons.com
Sure, it will depend on the loan company more than anything. It is possible to get your appraisal done withing 48 hours get through underwriting and close the loan within about 7 days if you dont have any credit issues to delay the process. I would call http://www.openontheradio.com

David Van Noy Jr
(816) 536_SOLD
Hi Gen,
You need to know if this property is Bank Owned....if it is, then you will need 30 to 45 days to close. The Title work seems to take longer with foreclosures. All Sellers have different circumstances. I have seen homes close in as little as 2 weeks, while others can take months to close. Hope this information helps. Best of Luck!