Steve, Home Buyer in Texas

Closing date set, but contractor wants to change something...

Asked by Steve, Texas Fri Nov 21, 2008

I am about to buy a newly build ready to move house. We already had a set date for closing. I just got a call from the contractor saying that the fence on the side be moved closer to the house. The big backyard was the one that swayed us to buy the house, but now it becomes smaller by 6 feet. It is a corner house. Can i terminate and have my deposit money back? Is it legal the way they are doing things?

Answers

4
If 6 feet is going to sway your decision....sounds like you are getting cold feet.
Maybe a reduced price for a smaller yard is a more sensible rationale.
Get your original contract out and check if a survey was part of that contract...or a legal title....then get an attorney to send a love letter to the contractor with a price reduction....or just talk to the contractor first...make an aggreement on adjusted price and then send a letter confirming the change.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
Did the contractor explain why this needed to happen? Why would a builder want to spend their money moving a fence unless there was a good reason? Were you satisfied with the contractor's answer? Does this have something to do with setbacks on the corner or neighborhood restrictions?

My other question as a Realtor who represents buyers and builders is "How important was that 6 ft in the yard?" Does this keep you from doing something in particular that is an insurmountable obstacle in purchasing this home otherwise? Or is there more?

Do you have a Realtor representing your interest?
Thanks for replying, Julie. Per the contractor, they would need to plant trees.
Steve,

This is more of a legal question and I am not an attorney. My question would be why the bulder wants or has to move the fence?