Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Rob Foley, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Child day care opening across the street

Asked by Rob Foley, San Francisco, CA Thu Feb 7, 2013

Hi everyone,
Hoping you can provide some advice here: we are bidding on a lovely house in a quiet neighborhood, and just found out today via disclosures that a day care will be opening up across the street in 2013.
The details are as follows:
> 3-5 yr old kids
> Maximum of 20
> Between hours of 08.00 and 18.00
> There is an outside yard on the house at the back. Kids will be allowed to play in groups of 8-10 twice a day for 45 mins

I have read all the concerns of existing neighbors which basically are summarized as:
> Parking concerns (drop off/pick up, double parking, etc.) - i don't see this as a huge issue as its only during 2 hours a day.
> Noise concerns - again I don't see this as an issue for me since playground is out the back of house and only small groups at a time.
For me though, the biggest issue is whether having a day care nearby could decrease the value of the property?
What are your thoughts on this in general - good or bad?
Thanks everyone

Answers

7
Thanks everyone for your valuable advice on this one.
Well I thought long and hard about it and in the end I pulled a trigger, made an offer on the house and got it!
I really do not think, apart from maybe a little inconvenience with traffic/parking twice a day, that having the day-care on the street will have much bearing. I think of it as gentrification of the neighborhood, but not as a precedence for other businesses on our street as its very quiet.

Thanks again.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
Congrats, Rob! Hope you love your new place! :-)
Flag Wed Feb 20, 2013
I'm thinking about opening one myself so I'm interested in hearing how it went for you. Were there any factors the OP didn't list that are important? Are there any things you wish you would have known before making a decision, whether positive or negative? http://www.miniapplemontessori.com/programs/
I'm looking for one to help with my son. I had my first child about six months ago and now it's time I go back to work. I really need some help with him and don't know where to go. Any suggestions? http://www.cottonwoodmontessorischools.com
Flag Thu Oct 9, 2014
Hi Radlie - Are you looking into opening a preschool or daycare in San Francsico or the bay area? Looks like you're from Chicago (my place of birth!) but this is a SF post. If you're looking in SF and need any help, don't hesitate to contact me. I'm a former pre-school teacher whose now a Realtor, so I have experience in both fields.
Flag Sun Sep 28, 2014
How do they say;
You can choose your Dog, but you can't choose your Neighbors?

Look at it positively;
They are probably renting,
If the neighborhood NEEDS that service, it would be a positive
If the neighborhood does not need it, it will be gobe soon,
When you sell, it will be a draw for some buyers,
It is a little bit better than a Meth Lab.
I don't know about the impact on property value, but as someone who's desperately trying to find child care near my new house, if you have/plan to have kids, this could dramatically improve your quality of life. This is my personal dream!!!!

But seriously, even if there are defined pick up/drop off times, it doesn't mean all kids will arrive/depart then. There may be brief periods of traffic, but I've found many day cares are pretty fluid about kids' schedules (unless it may be a super-structured school-type environment). Security should be tight with any programs like this, so it's not like you'll see kids roaming about. You may hear a few extra yells now and then from the outside, but I would guess that would be most of it.

I also am unsure about how it will effect the property value, but I would think that having a day care facility across the street will either appeal to your future home buyers, and really be a contributing factor in their decision. The second is the exact opposite, that it is a cause that they no longer want you home. But also you can ask yourself how long the day care center will be running. It may just go for a few years and then change locations. http://www.brantchildrenscentre.com/aboutus.html
Flag Tue Feb 11, 2014
I would guess that in this hot market it matters not one bit. I recently had a client offer on a home where they disclosed there was a sex offender listed in the Megan's Law database a couple of doors down. They got over 20 offers and we were significantly outbid despite what I felt was a very strong offer given the comps.

It may matter in a slower market, which is a relative thing in many neighborhoods in San Francisco. But not being clear on how the day care works, the size of the street, etc, it is hard to say what impact it might have in the future. With regular drop off and pickup times it would mean more traffic, but in a short burst. All day hours means very little extra traffic, but often a double parked car or two. If it is already a narrow street, that's more of an issue, if it is 4 lanes of traffic, that's another.
Hi Rob,

Lance is right. You should put a of thought into this purchase. I'm wondering how long the house has been on the market? Perhaps it has already put a crimp on it's desirability if it has sitting on the market for awhile. Also, what does your agent say about the comps? Is it priced lower already in anticipation of the day care being opened? I've had buyers that had no desire to be next to a school and buyers that have bought next to schools. And if the house is perfectfor you that also measures into the equation. It's not a pair of shoes so think about it carefully!

--

Lorraine Meier-- Realtor®

415.596.9362

Zephyr Real Estate

DRE #01439005
Rob,

With 20 kids it's hard to say, but I can tell you that traffic jams often occur around schools, especially if they're all being picked up at the same time. If it were me, unless I had a kid I wanted to go there I'd think hard about it. Noise from even 8 kids screaming can be annoying