Home Buying in Chatham>Question Details

Abigail Falls, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Chatham/Summit/Short Hills Area versus Rumson?

Asked by Abigail Falls, New York, NY Tue Aug 31, 2010

We are tryiing to decide between the Chatham, Summit, Shrt Hills area and Rumson. We have two children elementry and pre-school age and need trains to the city preferbly trains we could walk to. We would like a town that we could walk to with shops, restaurants and activity. A sence of community is important in the neighborhood and a strong parent involvement in the schools. Any advice or thoughts?.

Answers

4
HI Abigail

Well I believe I have the perfect answer for you....I am smiling because I lived in Short Hills before I moved to Rumson many years ago... Quite honestly I never looked back.....Short Hills and the Summit area are lovely,however moving to Rumson is moving for a life style. They offer everything the towns you mentioned in Essex and Union Counties, without the traffic plus much much more......

Rumson is perhaps the best kept secret in New Jersey, offering top schools, and upscale environment, beaches, adorable town, friendly atmosphere, great access to NYC by boat, train or bus. Wonderful restaurents locally..Red Bank two miles away.......Two theaters, movies, boating etc. the list goes on and on,,,

Please contact me for further info...My husband and I are both full time agents in Rumson..Good luck

Diane 732- 859 2376
I have a house in Chatham not yet on the market. It answers all those requests with a yes. If you would like an opportunity to see it go to http://www.zillow.com and type in 91 Watchung Ave, Chatham, NJ 07928. It's a gorgeous house and you can definitely walk to all of those things. There is an excellent preschool in close walking distance too that 80% of the Chatham Borough kids seem to attend. I would definitely recommend it because those kids seem to stay friends for life! People love Chatham. The schools are unrivaled. My number is 973-216-5178. I'm home today, but talking to realtors so call soon!
you can email me: sgertskis@yahoo.com
Flag Thu Jul 26, 2012
what is the asking price of 91 Watchung Ave? What are the taxes?
Flag Thu Jul 26, 2012
Anna has some good advice! It's really a matter of personal preference and affordability. I can't speak to Rumson, but I have lived in Morris county for 25 years. I wouldn't live anywhere else! I have worked in both Chatham and Summit and loved both places. Lots of wonderful restaurants, theatre, museums, historical sites, parks, Midtown Direct trains, public transportation, you name it! These are things I love, things I passionate about. You may have different priorities. Stay within your budget and follow your heart. You'll make the right choice. I am sure of it!
Consider doing some homework first--visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging; look at everything that is important to you, possibly chat with locals, visit the school(s), ask for a tour of the facility, speak to teachers, principal(s), etc. ask all your questions, etc. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.