Home Buying in Hewlett>Question Details

Alvy, Home Buyer in Wantagh, NY

Chase Bank appointed a realtor to us after we were pre-approved. We gave the basics of what we were looking

Asked by Alvy, Wantagh, NY Sat Jun 21, 2008

for and kind of have an automated response instead of continuous dialogue like his professional opinions and advice. We are looking everywhere online and find MUCH more than he sends - are we obligated to Chase's realtor or can we venture out? What steps would we take at that point?

Answers

11
no, you're not obligated to use Chase's realtor. Clearly they have a relationship with a realtor (or group of realtors) that they recommend... but you are under no obligation to use them.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
To add to Elvis's answer - you do have an obligation (if only one of good manners) to notify them that you prefer to use a different Realtor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you don't actually have that obligation. It would be nice, and that would be the polite thing to do... in fact i would hope that you would give me that courtesy, if it were me....

but you are NOT obligated to do so.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 22, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
If you didn't sign an agreement to only use the realtor that Chase recommended to you, you don't have to use only that realtor. If you did sign an agreement, cancel it if you're not comfortable with or confident in the realtor. This is going to be one of the most important purchases you will make, so you should make sure you have the right team working for you to serve as your staunchest advocates.

And if there's no agreement, besides not being obliged to the realtor that Chase recommended to you, you are also under no obligation to use Chase. It pays to shop around. There are various programs that not all lenders have access to.

If you are first time buyer with limited funds, you may even qualify for home buying assistance that several cities/counties offer.

Don't feel obligated to use the first bank you talk with, just as you are not obligated to buy the first house you see.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2008
To add to Elvis's answer - you do have an obligation (if only one of good manners) to notify them that you prefer to use a different Realtor. You didn't say if you had signed a Buyer Representation agreement. If you have, you also have a legal contract to dissolve. Note that most buyer agreements have language to protect the agent's commission if you eventually buy a property that he/she found for you. So check your buyer agreement, talk with the Chase Realtor, get released from any contract you have, and then find a different Realtor who responds to your need for information and advice. I can get you a recommendation if you need one - just email me at su@suwesely.com. Best of luck finding a new home!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2008
No, obligation w/ Chase real estate agent unless you signed a contract to "hire" him. Ask around. I'm sure you'll be able to get a recomendation for a local Realtor..
P.S. Often online services dont update listing as fast as local MLS service .I know that can be frustrating.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 21, 2008
I hope you did sign anything that committed you to the bank
If not you are free to chose a local realtor .it is our job and also our pleasure to help you fond a home
A serious agent enjoys their job and gets satisfaction out of helping.
"I don't know it would be considered spamming, because everyone does this"

No it is considered Spam because of the community Guidelines...

"Don't spam or use Trulia for commercial postings or activity
Trulia Voices purpose is to share knowledge and exchange opinions. You may not post URLs or content for the sole purpose of soliciting business or directing commercial activity to a non-Trulia site. The URLs or content must be relevant and pertain to the question at hand."
http://www.trulia.com/guidelines/

Thank-you for mentioning everyone seems to be doing this these kinds of posts...I agree a lot do seem to be.
Dunes, I don't know it would be considered spamming, because everyone does this. however, what Joshua consistently does is answer very old questions, which he doesn't realize doesn't reflect well on him.
More than likely the loan officer has a relationship with the agent and has hopefully performed well in the past. But the key if the realtor is not meeting your needs you should move on and find a realtor that will work for you. The realtor should meet your goals and objectives, that means find you a house, be responsive, listen and assist you in negotiating a transaction. It is always best to hire a buyers agent to ensure that the realtor is working for you and can meet all your goals and needs.

Good Luck
Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certifed Distressed Property Expert
Metro Milwaukee

http://www.milwaukeebailout.com
As it has been said you are not obligated to use their realtor. But just as you should talk to one realtor, do yourself a favor and talk to more than one mortgage banker. We recommend that our customers talk to at least 3 to be sure that they are getting the best program available to them.

I have lived and worked in the Five Towns area all my life, if I can help you with your search at all please let me know.

My website is a good place to start your search, be sure to suign up for a Buyers Toolkit for valuable up to date information on the market, but don't worry - I do a lot more than just automated e-mails. Nothing makes me feel better than finding someone the right house for them.

Good luck in your search

Donna
Just as you would shop around for any major purchase...talk to several agents. I would suggest using a REALTOR that is an accredited buyers representative (ABR). Happy hunting!