Home Buying in Lawrenceville>Question Details

Vera Finley, Home Buyer in Roswell, GA

Chapter 13 discharge

Asked by Vera Finley, Roswell, GA Tue Jun 26, 2012

I was told that I could buy a home while still in Chapter 13 but with the approval of the trustee. Now, I've completed all of the payments and I'm waiting on my discharge letter. Is there a waiting period before I can purchase a home?

Answers

2
Hi Vera,
Yes, you might be able to to. FHA mortgages are the least restrictive for a previous bankruptcy. HUD requires that a minimum of 24 months must have elapsed from the DISCHARGE date of a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy before a borrower can be eligible for an FHA mortgage.

For a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, then you must have made at least 12 on time payments. Additional, you must also have permission to purchase from the Bankruptcy Court.

In the time since the Bankruptcy, there should be no new derogatory items such as late payments, collection accounts, liens, judgments, etc. Having late payments after a Bankruptcy is often viewed as a disregard for the importance of credit. It also reflects that you are still having financial struggles.

If a mortgage was included in the Bankruptcy, you must wait at least 36 months from the foreclosure date to be eligible for an FHA mortgage. Sometimes, the foreclosure happens well after the Discharge Date of the Bankruptcy. If the mortgage was no re-affirmed, there is not much that can be done until the property get foreclosed on.

Getting Pre-Qualified is the only way for you to find out your options. To get Pre-Qualified you purchase, you can submit your request online at http://www.rodneymason.com.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
rodney.mason@prospectmtg.com
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
Hi Vera,

No, you can apply now for an FHA mortgage.