Home Buying in Uniondale>Question Details

Marie-jeanne, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Changing agent? Working with more then one agent?

Asked by Marie-jeanne, New York, NY Sun Dec 28, 2008

Hello! I've been working with an agent to buy a house for almost 4 months now and that doesn't give any result. I feel like i need some sort of new blood. Should I change? I feel bad having to think that way because the agent has actually taken us to many visits and won't get paid for it.
Or could I just work with more hen one agent at the same time to activate the process?

Thanks, Marie

Answers

9
Hi Marie, From reading the other responses, I take it that you have not signed a buyer broker agreement with this particular agent. If that's the case, you do not have any legal obligation to continuing using this agent. Now, if you feel you have moral obligation to continue to use this agent, that's a determination you'll have to make on your own. Although I would welcome an opportunity to work with you. You may want to consider meeting with the agent and telling him/her how you feel and see what they say. If the response is not to your liking and you don't think things will change, then moving on might be in your best interest. Buying a home is one of - if not the - biggest lifetime investments you will make so it's important to make the right decision. I would recommend interviewing a few agents that specialize in buyer brokerage and then hire the one that you feel is the most qualified and will do the best job for you. In simple terms, buyer brokerage is when the agent works for you rather than merely with you. If an agent is a broker's agent or seller's agent, that agent is supposed to be working with the interests of the seller and can only show you houses and take your offer. They are not supposed to give you advice on what to offer and guess at what the owner may take. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you.

Ralph Windschuh
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 29, 2008
As long as you have not signed a buyer broker agreement that has no legitimate reason for you to brake, you can use more than one agent.

It's a lot like dating multiple people at the same time, so proceed with thought and caution but it is usually better to pick an agent you are comfortable with.

On the other hand, the property you want may just not be availabel.

Try this. Ask the agent you are working with to restart your search just like you were a new client and check the MLS again. It's kind of like rebooting your computer.

Maybe, you will find something that slipped through the cracks with your current agent and find that home you are looking for.

Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.usaloanshome.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 28, 2008
As long as you don't sign a buyer agency contract, you can work with as many agents as you want. Be aware though, the first time you say "Oh, I saw that house last week" or "We have to be finished by 1 because I have an appointment with another agent" will probably be the last time an agent goes out of their way to help you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 28, 2008
OK: the way that I understand this is that you haven't yet found the house that you want to buy, and that it is apparently your agent's fault, despite that fact that you say he/she has taken you to many houses. You apparently realise that it sounds rather unethical and callous to drop your agent because of this fact. I think that you need to decide:
1) is this actually your agent's fault or is it yours? Is the ideal home actually something that isn't in the price bracket that you're looking in?
2) has the agent been working hard on your behalf?
If the answer is that you have an agent who is incompetent and lazy - change agents. But make sure that this is really the case first and not yourself just feeling frustrated with the process.
Marie,

Assuming you are searching in a single geographic area, all agents have access to the same listings via MLS. It may be that you and your agent are not communicating properly or your needs and wants exceed your price point. Since it appears that your frustration lies with the results and not the agent, I suggest you sit down with your agent and clarify your goals. Changing agents or using more than one will not necessarily result in finding a home that meets your needs. However, clear and realistic expectations, fully articulated will.
I agree with Scott. You should be meeting with the agent you have been working with to show you the homes. It sounds like you haven't had a meeting of the minds as to what specifically you are looking for. A good Buyer Presentation at the beginning of your relationship should have taken care of this. Anyway, once you determine what you are willing to compromise on, you should be able to find something, unless it is just not out there yet. Good Luck in your search and decision.
Marie,

My question would be if he has taken you on many visits (I'm assuming he's been showing properties to you), are you not seeing the type of properties you want? If that's the case maybe just make sure you are both on the same page. Perhaps there was a miscommunication or interpretation as to your desired home,community,time frame etc.

I can imagine working with someone for a long time and not getting results is difficult. He may be thinking the same thing! As a buyer if your goals or needs have changed, let him know. if he's not working for you and providing opportunities to see listings or write offers, answer your calls or emails, then by all means, it's your perrogative to find a new agent and you should. But you really shouldn't need to work with more than one agent. If you sign a buyers agency agreement, you should only work with that agent Good luck, Jim Mellen
Thanks Scott for your swift response but actually I did not sign any agreement. My concern then is purely ethical. Any suggestion?
You cant sign 2 buyer broker agreements fo rthe same area or risk having to pay more than 1 person when you do buy. if you feel it is time to switch, ask to be released from your buyer broker agreement and interview new agents. if you have reservation about starting over, perhaps talk to your current agent and let them know your feelings and what can be done to correct them. good luck with your search
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com