Home Buying in Dupage County>Question Details

Pauld98, Home Buyer in Dupage County, IL

Changes/additions were made after we signed an Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement contract.

Asked by Pauld98, Dupage County, IL Sat Apr 7, 2012

My wife and I were tricked by our real estate agent to sign a blank copy of an Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement. He informed us that we could not put an offer on a house until we signed it. We signed the blank copy since we were offered it but did not agree to any terms. After we signed the blank agreement and received a copy with his signature on it along with ours, he altered/modified the contract without our knowledge and passed it on as a legal document. Changes/additions were made after we signed an Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement contract. What can we do about this type of unethical practice

Answers

6
Also, NEVER sign BLANK forms/contracts in anything you do! All lines must be filled in before you sign. Be sure you do this even in day to day encounters, not just real estate, and always get a copy!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 7, 2012
Contact a lawyer. And, if the agent is a Realtor, contact your local Realtor's association and determine the process for filing a complaint.

However: Never, ever, ever sign a blank agreement or contract. Never.

In case my previous point is unclear, let me try again: NEVER SIGN A BLANK AGREEMENT OR CONTRACT. It doesn't matter who's presenting it. Don't do it.

Ever.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Don.....we will never make that mistake again! We learned the hard way!!
Flag Sat Apr 7, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi Pauld98,

Contact your Realtor's Broker as they hold your contract, not the Realtor.

Also, NEVER sign a blank contract - of ANY kind.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
My best suggestion is that you speak with the broker to the firm that your agent reports to because only the broker can void that agreement contract.
What do you want to do, PaulD? It's a legal matter and you might consult with an attorney; it's an agency matter so you might contact the managing broker; and in my non-legal opinion, you are not bound to the terms, but you'd better get the managing broker to agree with you before you start shopping with an agent from another brokerage.

Contracts aren't meant to be "gotcha" traps, they are meant to provide written evidence of an agreement between parties. You did not agree to the terms that the agent added to the contract, but you have to take immediate action to demonstrate your disagreement. Otherwise, a judge might think that you had agreed with the terms but were trying to back out later for some reason.

So - right now, tell the agent that they are not your agent and that you want a signed release from the company. Monday, call the manager of the office and tell them what this agent did, and ask when you can expect a signed release from the company - within an hour would be an acceptable response.

You're welcome!!
Flag Sat Apr 7, 2012
Ok, I see your point. I will fax a letter to them and inform them that I need the release. Thanks again!
Flag Sat Apr 7, 2012
No. Write a letter and fax it to the office and keep the receipt. Do you want to go to court with your laptop?
Flag Sat Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Mack! I already sent an email to the brokers explaining that we did not agree to any of the motified terms. We will call Monday though to ask for that release. Thanks so much for the advise!
Paul
Flag Sat Apr 7, 2012
Contact the managing broker of the company he is with.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with someone who is unethical and unprofessional!

By the way, what additions or changes did he make?

Cathi

Keller Williams Realty Partners
847-477-3494
This never showed up in my email, so I'm sorry for the delay in responding, I just came back here today.

You should call the Realtor Board that the office is a part of. Give me a call and because I want to clarify and give a little direction.

I will be tied up most of Tues morning until noon. If you reach my voicemail, leave a message letting me know a few good times to reach you back.

Cathi

Keller Williams Realty Partners
847-477-3494
Flag Mon Apr 9, 2012
Thanks Cathi, we already contacted his managing brokers and have not heard back in over a week and a half. We sent out an email to the brokers last Tuesday asking for an update but received no answer. Our former agent added items for the term of the contract to extend it one year and the amount of commission to be paid, since they were left blank on the origional document, which we have a copy of. What steps do you think we should take next?
Thanks, Paul
Flag Sat Apr 7, 2012