Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Buyer, Home Buyer in

Central Park Terrace, Pulte Homes, Fremont for a 1700 sq ft home , current price is 707K is it worth.Will future bart rail affect property appraisal?

Asked by Buyer, Thu Dec 5, 2013

Answers

2
Yes! To put some more detail into Arpad's answer, a study concluded that properties within 300 yards of a transit station reported reduction in values due to traffic, noise, and increased crimes as some burglars will commute with BART and commit crimes within the station's general area. For those outside the 300 yards, those home increased in value as the commute options increased the value. Now folks will be able to take BART from Livermore and go to work in Fremont without driving the 680 mess and works the other way as well.

Your situation is a bit different. as you as close to the tracks (how close?) but not next to a station but I think parallels apply. Not be cast a negative light, but with squealing trains going by every 5-10 minutes and this project's zero lot set-up it won't give some the suburban feel of quiet streets with kids playing in their yards. It is a bit more functional and somewhat industrial looking at least as I see it from the Washington overpass. But others like the 'low maintenance', close to downtown aspect of this project so it comes down to taste and what you want to give up to get a larger home with OK schools as the junior high and high school don't compare well with other Fremont schools but do compare very well compared to the bay area as a whole.

I hope this helps. Realtors have to parse their words carefully so it is good to have the opinion of everyday homeowners but of course I have my biases as well, so it is up to you to make the final decision. Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Depending on the type of the rail and the proximity from your property, the desirability of the property maybe effected given there is a good amount of supply in the market. Fremont is a school driven market and buyers are willing to pay a premium if the school district is strong. Also, Fremont is centrally located and tends to attract professionals from Silicon Valley. If the property has a solid school district I wouldn't worry about rail road tracks effecting future resale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 28, 2013